Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cut Out on stock exhaust- good or bad sound?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cut Out on stock exhaust- good or bad sound?

It will be awhile before I can do the full exhaust mod, just wondering if a cut out would sound good, or just sound like an exhaust leak if put on a stock exhaust. Only engine mod is air intake. Search said nothing about stock exhausts.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

It sounds pretty good IMO. And fairly cheap. You'll be surprised how much louder it gets I bet.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:35 PM
Launching!

actualy it sounds real good, couple freinds of mine thought that maybe it would sound like ***, but they were even impressed. After longtubes and no cats its very loud and unrefined-in my opinion it doesn't sound very good now, unless I keep the cutout halfway closed, the cats must keep the rasp down. with stock exhaust it sounds loud but not untolerable, sounds pretty muscley at full throttle, with headers and no cats it sounds like nascar at full throttle-way to much noise for the street as the police will hit you right away. I love having the electric cutout as I can have my quiet stock exhaust for cruising on the freeway and then open it up to scare people when I choose to. Having a loud catback gets old as it drones and then you must play the stereo very loud to go over the noise. Have a cutout installed, and if you like hiow it sounds get an electric plate for it.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ya my cutout sounds great and everyone i come across likes the sound. Im putting headers on this weekend and i know its gonna be really loud so im going to buy the electric piece. It cost me $40 for the cutout and then another $40 to install so for the price you cant beat it.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:19 PM
12 Second Club

It sounded good w/ stock manifolds. Now it sounds even better with LT's and catted-y.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine will be in tomorrow! QTP electric unit baby! I am sure at WOT it will sound sweet, but at part throttle it will prolly be raspy sometimes. Time will tell......
Old 04-20-2006, 05:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
Mine will be in tomorrow! QTP electric unit baby! I am sure at WOT it will sound sweet, but at part throttle it will prolly be raspy sometimes. Time will tell......
if you have cats, it wont be raspy at ALL. Now with an ORY, it was loud and sounded like crap at ANY rpm.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
nice 12.537@111.67 1.960 60ft by the way. Sounds like I need driver Mod myself

Quick Reply: Cut Out on stock exhaust- good or bad sound?