Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3" exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3" exhaust

I have a C5 that presently has Kooks headers, stock diameter (2 1/2") exhaust with a 2 1/4 no name x-pipe, no cats, and magnaflow mufflers.
I just purchased a full 3" magnaflow x-pipe (no cats) that bolts directly to the mufflers and will have to be connected to the header collector (3")
My question is how much louder will this make the car? It has a great sound level now, but I wouldn't mind it being a little deeper. I do NOT want the car to be loud. (I like it to be a little it of a sleeper)
Several guys have mentioned that their 3" exhaust were LOUD, but they were running Corsa's or bullets which or loud already.
What kind of difference am I looking at?
Thanks
Old 04-20-2006, 07:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BOTTLE ROCKET
I have a C5 that presently has Kooks headers, stock diameter (2 1/2") exhaust with a 2 1/4 no name x-pipe, no cats, and magnaflow mufflers.
I just purchased a full 3" magnaflow x-pipe (no cats) that bolts directly to the mufflers and will have to be connected to the header collector (3")
My question is how much louder will this make the car? It has a great sound level now, but I wouldn't mind it being a little deeper. I do NOT want the car to be loud. (I like it to be a little it of a sleeper)
Several guys have mentioned that their 3" exhaust were LOUD, but they were running Corsa's or bullets which or loud already.
What kind of difference am I looking at?
Thanks
Should't be too much of a difference at all. All you are really doing is changing the piping in between either end. The headers, cats, and mufflers are all staying the same. It might be slightly louder, but it shouldn't be very noticeble
Old 04-21-2006, 03:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Domestic Demon
Should't be too much of a difference at all. All you are really doing is changing the piping in between either end. The headers, cats, and mufflers are all staying the same. It might be slightly louder, but it shouldn't be very noticeble
Great; That's what I'm hopeing for.
I've heard all sorts of theorys about low end torque going down, the 3" pipes making both part and full throttle noise levels much higher etc.. but with no real "reasoning" behind them. I posted just to see if someone has made a simular swap to save the bucks$$ to change it back if it does turn out too loud. I think my present combo is a little restrictive now (especially with the N2O) but I'll give up a few ponies to have a civilized car.