Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.0" to 2.5" Anyone done it??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.0" to 2.5" Anyone done it??

I have the slp ory y pipe and slp LM. I am going to get pacesetter lt's but I want cats on it. The collector is 3.0" and the y is 2.5". Would a muffler shop, garage, etc. be able to weld and cut em for me (cause the y will need some modding to fit the headers)? If anyone has done something similar please help. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2006, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

Also are there any kind of adapters or things like that, that could do the trick?
Old 04-22-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've got the Jet Hot LT's w/ 3" collectors, what I did was have an exhaust shop flange my collectors and put 3" random tech cats on, then reduced the piping after the cat to 2.5" mandrel bent, into a flow master 2.5-3" merge collector => Catback ... the setup is amazing, great ground clearance, the cats flow at 598cfm, so I know they're not causing a major restriction on the exhaust. Having the custom Y w/ the fm merge i know that exhaust velocity is maximized, and the systems efficient. Hell i didn't feel any SOTP loss w/ the new setup over my 3" X pipe setup that I had before.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

can u send me a pm on that pricing, cause along with the piping reduction I also have to have the y pipe cut and the cats welded on. trying to figure out the most pratical setup with the most bang for the buck. appreciate it.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

oh where did u have that done, local garage, or some chain of stores?
Old 04-22-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FormulaNHRA
can u send me a pm on that pricing, cause along with the piping reduction I also have to have the y pipe cut and the cats welded on. trying to figure out the most pratical setup with the most bang for the buck. appreciate it.
I had it done by a very reputable shop that's done great exhaust work on my car previously. Most expensive part of the whole setup were my cats ($215 a peice), the flow master merge was only like 35 bucks, and the shop charged me 375 parts and labor. Including the flanges, cutting my collectors back just as I specified building the rest of the Ypipe, etc. And they also installed my catback as well. So figure some of that 375 was for the install of the catback. Dunno what the going rate for a CB install is off the top of my head sorry.
I'm very happy w/ my choice in cats ... however if I were to go back and do it again, I'd probably get the carsound metallic race cats. They'd be a bit cheaper
Old 04-22-2006, 07:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can also buy 'reducers' at Summits and Jegs that go from 3-2.5.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:47 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by FstBlkz28
I've got the Jet Hot LT's w/ 3" collectors, what I did was have an exhaust shop flange my collectors and put 3" random tech cats on, then reduced the piping after the cat to 2.5" mandrel bent, into a flow master 2.5-3" merge collector => Catback ... the setup is amazing, great ground clearance, the cats flow at 598cfm, so I know they're not causing a major restriction on the exhaust. Having the custom Y w/ the fm merge i know that exhaust velocity is maximized, and the systems efficient. Hell i didn't feel any SOTP loss w/ the new setup over my 3" X pipe setup that I had before.
I really like your set-up, man. I'm planning to do something similar when I get LT's. To me, it makes much more sense to go from the dual 3" to dual 2.5" through the FM merge into a single 3" than to go dual 3" into a single 3" with a crappy merge. I would think better velocity is maintained over a greater distance through these staged reductions rather than a single bottleneck.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I will be running a 3in to 2.5 when I do my headers. I will run macs with the ball flange hacked off into a 3in 45 degree bend then reduced to 2.5 into carsound 2.5in cats then through my borla y-pipe. The plan was to reuse my borla y-pipe which is why I went with 2.5 cats, But I was't thinking clearly I should have ran 3in cats off the bend and then reduced down to 2.5 after the cats. I have the parts now and am just going to use what I got. If you don't allready have the cats do as FstBlkz28 did 3in cats then reduce the pipe to 2.5 and use the slp y-pipe you have.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:54 AM
Staging Lane

since i'm gonna try to custom cut and weld myself, can i bolt the cats to the headers or do i need to weld, then after the the cats weld on the reducers, and reducers welded on to cut y. Since the y is madrel bent I shouldnt run into any problems with the angles being a little off on the one side should i?
Old 04-23-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You will need to look into where to place the cats. The pass side has a place for the cats, it has a big hump on the pass floor board. You may have to run some pipe off the headers then hook the cats to the pipe to get it into this hump. The drivers side is much more cramped and really is't anywhere great to put a cat. You just need to find the best place that will give the most ground clearance.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FormulaNHRA
since i'm gonna try to custom cut and weld myself, can i bolt the cats to the headers or do i need to weld, then after the the cats weld on the reducers, and reducers welded on to cut y. Since the y is madrel bent I shouldnt run into any problems with the angles being a little off on the one side should i?
I have my cats flanged to my collectors. You have to cut the dr. side collector back a few inches so that the cat could fit in. The Random Tech cats are only 6.5" i think installed. So they're very compact.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

i'm thinking of goin with the magnaflow cats, but puttin the drivers side cat after the bend in the y, and the passengers right on the end of the y/header merge, along with reducers off the collector. Sry if this is a dumb ? but what does the AIR hookup do?
Old 04-23-2006, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

another question, does slip fit for reducers mean that it actually slides over the existing pipe u want to reduce or can it be put flush against it if i wanted to weld it on?
Old 04-24-2006, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

slip fit will slide over the existing pipe. If its all being welded, it really doesn't matter ... b/c you can weld it all shut anyways, so slip fit isn't as meccessary.