Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N or Holley Power shot wich is better?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 04:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N or Holley Power shot wich is better?

Is one better than the other or are they both the same?
Old 04-26-2006, 04:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Both pretty similar but IMHO paper OEM filters are the way to go. They have been bench flow tested and proven to supply enough air for upto 500bhp n/a.

Plus they are cheap to replace and still flow pretty well when dirty. Cotton weave filters like the ones you've listed are expensive to buy offer no real gain in HP (1-2hp at most but more often zero) have reduced filtering ability (which is the main purpose of an Air Filter). And also clog up easier and more quickly which causes them to flow far worse than paper filters.

This all means you have to clean and re-oil them more often than you would swap out a paper one, combine this with the fact that cleaning solutions and oils cost more than paper filters means cotton weave filters cost a lot to buy and a lot to maintain properly.

IMO the best $/hp ratio for the intake system (excluding manifold) is a lid (any will do and ALL offer the same power increase but I've heard the least problems with TSP and SLP lids). Combine this with a new filter, if you want more the the FTRA (Fast Toys Ram Air) is a pretty good bet. Although the FRA (Free Ram Air) mod does work but shows best potential at high speed, albeit minor.

There are manay other setups such as Volant and the k&N FIPK but they don't offer any performance gain over the above setup, however they do look rather cool. But at 3 times the cost you have to ask are they worth it?
Old 04-26-2006, 04:23 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like my K&N. I consider it to be one of my better mods in the early stages.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Holley fits better but as long as you don't have free ram air just get a paper filter.