Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow cat back is not loud enough...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 07:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Magnaflow cat back is not loud enough...

Right now my car has Kooks longtubes, ORY and a magnaflow cat back. The car is not loud enough for me. I really like the way a B&B PRT exhaust sounds on a C5, and I'd like to duplicate that sound if at all possible. I know B&B makes a cat back for the F body, but I don't know that it sounds like the PRT. Does it? For me, the Magnaflow is just too quiet and its kinda raspy with the ORY. I will be putting cat shells on my ORY to pass visual emissions. The car is not my daily driver, its a nice weather driver. Ive owned loud cars before, Im used to it. I was also considering true duals with bullet mufflers like these ones on eBay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02...temZ8053823855 I am just a little skeptical about how the true dual will fit on the car. I've heard some real horror storys about true duals hitting the floor and causing all kinds of vibrations and knock retard. I think the true duals sound sweet, but I don't know if I want to deal with the fitment issues. Im not sure which exhaust system I really want at this point. I'd like to hear some feedback. Thanks
Old 04-26-2006, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you plan on a cam or heads or both. My car is alot louder since I built my new engine with new H/C, also the blower has added more volume too. If you plan on some more mod's you might want to wait and see how it sounds after. Just a thought.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whatever you decide, don't buy those duals off ebay. They are junk. A member here recently made a post about how horrible the quality was and warned everyone to stay away.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by conan
Do you plan on a cam or heads or both. My car is alot louder since I built my new engine with new H/C, also the blower has added more volume too. If you plan on some more mod's you might want to wait and see how it sounds after. Just a thought.
I'll most likely get some form of a Cartek 4x heads and cam set up in the fall. I want to just enjoy the car for the summer for now. I will keep that info in mind.

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Whatever you decide, don't buy those duals off ebay. They are junk. A member here recently made a post about how horrible the quality was and warned everyone to stay away.
Thanks for the info. I won't be buying that system.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought my LTs, ORY, and Magnaflow was getting too loud. Just shows the definition of "loud" to different people I guess.

I'd reccomend some true duals from Texas Speed with the Sweet Thunder chambered mufflers.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Keep the Magnaflow, and get a nice sized cam. I'm running LTs, ORY, and the Magnaflow catback with my MS3, and it's pretty loud. Not really all that raspy either.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

Hey not to hijack the thread but if anyone is selling their magnaflow pm me. Also, if you want loud go with duals and the dynomax bullets, your not going to find a meaner setup out there. if you want a catback I have my slp lm which im going to be swapping out soon so if youd be looking for a trade id be willing to swap my lm and maybe some cash for the magnaflow.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
I thought my LTs, ORY, and Magnaflow was getting too loud. Just shows the definition of "loud" to different people I guess.

I'd reccomend some true duals from Texas Speed with the Sweet Thunder chambered mufflers.
The car does not get driven long distances, usually from my friends house (where I keep the car) to the track and back. Half hour each way. If I was driving the car to Florida and back twice a month I would say that its as loud as I can stand. For my short drives it will be fine.

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Hey not to hijack the thread but if anyone is selling their magnaflow pm me. Also, if you want loud go with duals and the dynomax bullets, your not going to find a meaner setup out there. if you want a catback I have my slp lm which im going to be swapping out soon so if youd be looking for a trade id be willing to swap my lm and maybe some cash for the magnaflow.
I'd consider selling it outright. If I buy the true dual set up from TSP I'll let you know. As of right now the whole cat back has about 1000 miles on it.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z

+1 on both of those.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:13 PM
11 Second Club

get a cut out
Old 04-26-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Zger
The car does not get driven long distances, usually from my friends house (where I keep the car) to the track and back. Half hour each way. If I was driving the car to Florida and back twice a month I would say that its as loud as I can stand. For my short drives it will be fine.

I'd consider selling it outright. If I buy the true dual set up from TSP I'll let you know. As of right now the whole cat back has about 1000 miles on it.

Ok sounds good just let me know!
Old 04-26-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SOMe WS6
get a cut out
I don't like cut outs. Never have, never will.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like chambered duals would be a good set up for ya
Old 04-26-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get a cam... did it for me - LT's ORY and Magnaflow CB.
Also the cutout from QTP??? What is not to like? Flip of a switch and it is TOO loud
Old 04-26-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by '02 SLP#686
Get a cam... did it for me - LT's ORY and Magnaflow CB.
Also the cutout from QTP??? What is not to like? Flip of a switch and it is TOO loud
I had one on my GN for about a week. It made the whole passenger side floor vibrate like hell and there were constant fumes in the car. I just did not like it. Also, they're not legal for street night or bracket racing at E town. I'd like to keep the performance consistant.

I really wish Billy Boat made a version of their PRT system for f bodies. It sounds sick on a C5.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by unSStoppable
Sounds like chambered duals would be a good set up for ya
I'm thinking TSP duals with bullets is what I need.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow cat back is not loud enough...