Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

custom single catback worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom single catback worth it?

I was thinking about my next mod as summer comes and my T-tops are almost always off I want to hear my car better not not be too loud as this is my daily.

I right now have a 99z28 with mti lid and a flowmaster muffler *it was free not sure series just know its flowmaster*

Car sounds ok at best I want more grumble then loud and I want just mean when i'm on it yet semi refined for daily.

My question is what does everyone think of going to midas and getting 3 in piping done? I never want to lose my cats but I do want to get headers down the line I can't make my mind up what kind so the Y pipe stuff could be a problem.

Also could I say get a catted Y that'll fit any header brand bolt to stock exhuast?

Thanks for you're help I don't mean this as I'm a half asser more just trying to learn try things and still have car that'll make me happy.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Get a cutout...cats quiet down the exhaust..[why not lose them??]...the flowmaster would be a series 80.....3" pipe where??? the I-pipe is 2.75 and the extra 1/4" won't make any diff. ...you could get a better y pipe though....if u are looking for sound, headers, or lose the cats, or the cutout.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
Get a cutout...cats quiet down the exhaust..[why not lose them??]...the flowmaster would be a series 80.....3" pipe where??? the I-pipe is 2.75 and the extra 1/4" won't make any diff. ...you could get a better y pipe though....if u are looking for sound, headers, or lose the cats, or the cutout.
I rather not get a cutout and I want to stay smog legal and with good cats they don't cause any losses at lower HP levels plus I feel better with them on.

Thank you for the prompt reply on imput though I just like to learn so you are suggesting just go for a lt setup?
Old 04-27-2006, 02:55 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Go with a catback like the loudmouth or rumbler if you want to keep your stock manifolds and Y.

Swapping the Y is pretty pointless unless you go with LT's.

Since you are planning on LT's some time. I would just get a catback for right now, then just swap the manifolds and y when you want. As far as which catback...since you are going with cats its really up to you. Rasp should not be that big of an issue with whatever you choose...just the amount of noise.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:57 PM
12 Second Club

id do longtubes w/ cated y pipe. Supermaxx headers are real nice. Kooks, QTP's, FLP's are the more expensive header. Pacesetter, Hooker, etc are the cheaper set. and you can get cated y pipes for all those headers also. as for catback id just buy a reagular aftermarket catback. magnaflow or hooker would be on the cheaper side. but still a proven reliable catback that alot of people run. the flowmaster really doesnt do you any justice. if you have the money to spend corsa, borla, stainlessworks, gmmg are all great exhuast. www.ls1sounds.com you can choose what you like.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks again all I think i'll just do a catback then catted y and headers.

I just like to see if things can work around the tried and true paths, sometimes things can and it works well. Not in this case but, always worth asking and learning.

Going to search about Magnaflo catback right now
Old 04-27-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Keeping the cats I think you might be happy with the LoudMouth..... I love mine with cats and stock maniflods.