Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big cubes or forced induction....or both?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Big cubes or forced induction....or both?

Right now my SS is undergoing a complete face lift, and will look better than new when complete.

But when she's done, and I've redone my interior, I have to decide on what I want to do with my drivetrain.

I like the idea of big cubic inches, like the ZL1 427's. 600 or so horsepower, and maybe a 2-300 hp shot on top of that as added insurance...... I've always loved the sound of a nice lopey cam. Something with like 108 degree lobe seperation or so.

A supercharged, or turbocharged setup could be nice also, but I'm not sure.

The car will be used for shows, drag racing, auto-cross, road racing, etc.

I'm not worried about cost, so I have to figure out what road to go down with it.

OH, and I want to retain all my accessories, in their factory positions, if I can. :hmm:

Tom
Old 04-27-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

A bigger motor is always better to work with be it F/I or N/A.

Make your mind up before you spend a dollar thats your best bet. The search feature is great.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ace$nyper
A bigger motor is always better to work with be it F/I or N/A.

Make your mind up before you spend a dollar thats your best bet. The search feature is great.
I use the hell out of the search feature on here. Just figured I'd get some people's thoughts pertaining directly to my situation. Thanks!

Tom
Old 04-27-2006, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

F/I 427
Old 04-27-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

any big cube FI is bad nasty
Old 04-27-2006, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

What breed of F/I is best with our cars?

Tom
Old 04-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Restricted User

It may be tough going turbo - FI to retain ALL accessories in factory locations. We will be doing custom headers to attempt this shortly. I think hi-flo may have a single that follows your guidelines. Procharger has a kit that may retain all. I would call around and ask.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:58 AM
Flossin' twin turbos

Originally Posted by 02 Camaro SS
F/I 427
hehe don't forget the TT after that
Old 04-28-2006, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Potent68
Right now my SS is undergoing a complete face lift, and will look better than new when complete.

But when she's done, and I've redone my interior, I have to decide on what I want to do with my drivetrain.

I like the idea of big cubic inches, like the ZL1 427's. 600 or so horsepower, and maybe a 2-300 hp shot on top of that as added insurance...... I've always loved the sound of a nice lopey cam. Something with like 108 degree lobe seperation or so.

A supercharged, or turbocharged setup could be nice also, but I'm not sure.

The car will be used for shows, drag racing, auto-cross, road racing, etc.

I'm not worried about cost, so I have to figure out what road to go down with it.

OH, and I want to retain all my accessories, in their factory positions, if I can. :hmm:

Tom
If money's not a problem how much are you talking. I mean you could sink 60k into an engine if yo uwanted too.

402ci and 408ci are pretty common swaps, personally I like the LS2 based 402ci as it retains the aluminium block as opposed to cast iron.

High CR will work fine for n/a and upto 550rwhp or low CR and forged internals and 700-850rwhp should be quite attainable with FI.

Procharger make some nice blower setups which with a little customising would work well. Or there are turbo setups but these will often run to more money depending on your setup.

Not too mention with power levels like this you'll seriously need to think about chassis, suspension and drivetrain upgrades.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
If money's not a problem how much are you talking. I mean you could sink 60k into an engine if yo uwanted too.

402ci and 408ci are pretty common swaps, personally I like the LS2 based 402ci as it retains the aluminium block as opposed to cast iron.

High CR will work fine for n/a and upto 550rwhp or low CR and forged internals and 700-850rwhp should be quite attainable with FI.

Procharger make some nice blower setups which with a little customising would work well. Or there are turbo setups but these will often run to more money depending on your setup.

Not too mention with power levels like this you'll seriously need to think about chassis, suspension and drivetrain upgrades.
She'll be getting full chassis, suspension, and drivetrain upgrades. Most will say, "why not just buy a new Z06?" but, I like my SS.

My buddy did an HPE 398, with the CAS TT kit, and I was thinking about going that route, but if I do it myself, it will sit for a few years until I get back into the country, as I leave at the end of this year, and won't be around my car much in the meantime.

I was thinking about shipping it to Lingenfelter, or some company like that, but I don't know.

This has been one area I've never been able to make up my mind on.

Tom
Old 04-28-2006, 11:16 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Before spending one cent on a motor setup, figure out teh HP you want, and when do you want it, all teh time, or only when at the dragstrip, etc.etc. A 408 setup could make 500 without too much trouble, probably plenty of power for roadcourse and street sure.... and if built right, a direct port nitrous setup with 1 or 2 stages, with it's own fuel system would be more then enough power to scare you whiter then white at the drag strip... and still remain a little more streetable, and will be easier to tune overall, no worries about trying ot get low impedance injectors to work, etc.etc.

Just figure out what you really want first... and remember a car that's good on a roadcourse, isn't gonna hook great at the drag strip and vise versa, so plan accordingly.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Well it's certainly not an unpleasant choice to be faced with.

Personally I don't think you can beat the sound of a big cubed high CR race prepped engine, one of my fav automotive sounds. But it does tend to suit the Chevy 454, Ford 427/450 ilk and the Poncho and Mopar's of old.

With a modern unit as capable as the LSx I would definatley go FI of some description on as sensible sized displacement as I can find. Long stroke engies may make great headline numbers but may not be the best for circuit use as higher revs are often beneficial.

Decisions, decisions, decisoins.

Let us know what you decide though
Old 04-28-2006, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

It's definitely going to be used for all aspects of racing. I want an all around vehicle, that may not be top dog at all the events, but will be a lot of fun for me, and if I so desire, (despite my fears of rock chips after his new paint job) I can drive to each event, and back again.

I love the sound of a healthy cam in a big block, but I agree, that's usually a sound better associated with classic muscle.

I want plenty of power, BUT, I don't want too much, to where it's not usable at the different racing events.

Tom