Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP TDs sound = Me disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 09:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TSP TDs sound = Me disappointed

I just heard the tsp true duals with sweet thunder mufflers yesterday at the track on an LS1 TA with just LTs, and it pains me to say this, but I don't think it sounded good at all. It kinda just cracked, popped and sounded very raspy. That kinda pissed me off cuz I'm getting my QTP LTs in soon and I decided to go with TDs since finding a good catted y-pipe is next to impossible and I dont want a custom y, and after hearing the TDs I'm really confused. Not to mention the HORRIBLE ground clearance it had. I know duals aren't great for clearance, but it was lowered with dms springs, and had maybe at best 2 1/2 inches of clearance from the dumps to the pavement. Someone please tell me there had to be something wrong with the exhaust for it to sound that bad cuz it wasnt just me, my other two friends thought the same thing. Or do you think it was all the hype about the sound of TDs that let us down thinking it was gonna sound better than it did? Is there any real noticeable difference between the 3 muffler choices with the TSPs? I have a feeling that these headers are gonna be sitting on my floor for a while.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:33 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, it depends on what type of muffler was on there in the first place. Catalytic converters play a big role as well.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, you just heard one of the cheeziest mufflers IMO. Spiral flows sound best on duals IMO. Bullets sound better than the sweet thunders also IMO. Notice I keep saying IMO because its all opinion based.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:19 PM
12 Second Club

I believe he had Jet hot LTs. Car had no cats also, just the duals with the sweet thunder mufflers. And yes I know sound is based on opinion but 3 people felt the same way and I couldn't imagine anyone liking the sound of that set-up. I would like to hear clear soundclips of each different muffler so I can get an idea of how they differ but ls1sounds.com doesnt have any with just LTs w/ the duals of all three mufflers.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone loves the sound of my duals around here. The only thing that would make them pop and sound raspy all the time would be if they had some exhaust leaks, which with headers, is all too likely. Mine don't pop unless I let them load up with fuel, but all my joints except the ones at the collectors are welded up.

My clearance is awesome, granted I'm stock height, but I've taken a lot of time to get it right, and it shows.

Pic of my clearance...

Old 04-29-2006, 10:51 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Are those 2.5" or 3" Doubtit?
Old 04-29-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i like the sound it makes when it's poping and ****!
Old 04-29-2006, 11:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Are those 2.5" or 3" Doubtit?
3" in/out, but of course they have the 2.5 cores inside.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:08 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some people like the way LT's + ORY + loud mouth sounds too.....

I've never been too fond of the sweet-thunder or sweet thunder type (GMMG) mufflers myself, but I absolutly loved the way my TSP duals sounded the way they came when they had no cats and bullets.

As for ground clearance, you can tuck them as far as your patience will allow. With a hammer, jack, and enough time, you can make them ride higher than giraffe pu$$y. Check the link in my sig for more pictures (before cats + extensions). Keep in mind that my car is lowered about 1" in the rear in those pictures.

My buddy has DMS springs/Koni shocks on his 2002 z28, and its SLAMMED.

Maby there was something wrong with his car? Tell us what kinda exhaust you actually like.

Old 04-30-2006, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Well, you just heard one of the cheeziest mufflers IMO. Spiral flows sound best on duals IMO. Bullets sound better than the sweet thunders also IMO. Notice I keep saying IMO because its all opinion based.

Check out this poll i ran a while ago. ST's are fairly popular and regarded as the best sounding. I can't attest to this personally - I went with Y-pipe

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=sweet
Old 04-30-2006, 01:27 AM
TECH Junkie

magnaflow 4x9s or the 1 chamber flows sound better than any bullet style muffler you can find, hands down.

i have the 4x9 magnaflows and they are, in my opinion, the best souding mufflers you can fit under an ls1 f-body.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Some people like the way LT's + ORY + loud mouth sounds too.....
Who are these people? I'm sure as hell not one of them.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:36 AM
11 Second Club

ST's here and I'm in love. I get comments daily from people wanting to know what exhaust it is. It is certainly unique. I get popping if I accelerate quickly then let off the gas real quick. Other than that, it is very deep and smooth sounding. No rasp whatsoever. I have heard bullets.....not as fond of them, but they sound real good too. I had Twisters on my SS and it sounded good as well, just not enough bark for me. It most likely was leaks or something because all I ever hear at the track/on the street is "Damn that sounds mean!" This from fellow F-bod owners, Stang owners and my favorite....the rice crowd. Exhaust is subjective....try to find all three near you so you can hear them in person. Regardless of what you go with, you will not be disappointed. They all have their unique characteristics, find the one you like best.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:45 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a LM with a catted Y, I like the way that sounds, will like it even more when there'a big cammed 402 huffing thru it too
Old 04-30-2006, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

I have a feeling that these headers are gonna be sitting on my floor for a while. [/QUOTE]

whatever you do about your exhaust , put on your LTs , thats one of the best mods , atleast install them with your current setup untill you figure out what you want .
Old 04-30-2006, 08:05 AM
Teching In

Actually I'm of the same vein of thought with ST dual dumps.. Too loud and obnoxious to me. However I love my spiral flow dumps and have other people who say it sounds great. Not too loud outside at all unless pushing it a bit.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z28LS1KID
That kinda pissed me off cuz I'm getting my QTP LTs in soon and I decided to go with TDs since finding a good catted y-pipe is next to impossible and I dont want a custom y, and after hearing the TDs I'm really confused.
Why wouldn't you want a custom y?

I agree with you on the sound of TD's, lot's of my friends have them and it doesn't float my boat.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:47 AM
12 Second Club

You guys easily have better clearance than the T/A I saw at the track from the pics you posted.

The reason why I don't want a custom Y is because there aren't any good shops near me, and some of my friends have worse clearance with their custom Ys than they would have if they went with the Y from the same company of their LTs.

Right now I am running stock manifolds w/stock y and a loudmouth catback. I love the sound but its time to finish up the exhaust. I originally wanted to go QTP LTs with the QTP catted y (since I have the LM) but I started to hear all of the clearance/fitment problems and how its common that the cats fall apart and rattle around after only 6 months. Thats when I looked into the TDs. I read great things about the TSPs but after hearing it in person, I was turned off a little. Now I'm starting to wonder if I should drop the LM and go QTP LTs - QTP ORY OR Kooks SS ORY w/ optional merge - GMMG. The reason why I like the QTP y pipe so much is that it comes with the merge collector. But kooks came out with a stainless steel Y, which is great, but will charge more for the merge collector and the fact that its stainless steel. LOL why does this seem so hard to make a decision
Old 04-30-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

where in nj are you?

i did duals on a friends head/cam car with bullets and an h pipe...sounds sexy.

another buddy has a tsp setup with a 228/230 cam that hes finishing up now.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

as for clearance...you cant even see them from the side of the car..its all about skill.