Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing valve covers

I need to pull the valve covers on my Z28 to investigate an infamous tick shared by other members on this forum. What's the easiest way to remove them without unnecessary steps? Do you just remove the whole coil rail first and then the covers? It looks pretty straight forward, I just don't want any surprises or to remove anything that I don't need to.

Thanks in advance! Rod
Old 04-29-2006, 09:40 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

take the coil pack off along with all the hoses...then unbolt the covers from the head.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:25 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lithium
take the coil pack off along with all the hoses...then unbolt the covers from the head.
Well he made that look easy didn't he?
Old 04-30-2006, 12:00 AM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Well he made that look easy didn't he?
hahahaha its a pain in the *** really...just trying to give they guy some hope!
Old 04-30-2006, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

naw.....piece o cake....make sure you have an 8 MM socket, i think thats what it is to get the valve cover bolts off..they come right off
Old 04-30-2006, 12:52 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year is it? Since it's most likely a 99+, you'll need to remove the coil packs/rails first, I think. You can just unplug the big *** coil pack plug from each side, not each individual coil pack.

You need to remove the whole coil pack rail from each side with the coil packs still attatched. The passenger side, back bolt holding the coil pack rail to the valve cover, is a royal PITA. Once you get that bitch out, throw it the hell away and never put another bolt in the hole.

Make sure you use a 6-point 8mm socket on the valve cover bolts and rocker arm bolts.

If you have a 98, you can remove the valve covers without taking of the coil packs. Using my 1/4" drive air ratchet with a few different extensions, I can yank them off in no time flat.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:01 AM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

gear wrenches are your best friends as well.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:23 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
I can yank them off in no time flat.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:39 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
You and your "selective quoting"!!!!

Actually, I was hoping someone would catch it.........
Old 04-30-2006, 12:18 PM
Teching In

This is 2002 Z28, I had heard that the rear bolt on the coil rack was a real pain so I was looking for a way around it. I guess I'll just start with that one to get it out of the way first. Just a note to all who have the same lousy ticking, I finally tried a 0-30 MOBIL 1 oil and it helped the problem significantly. I have tried every other oil recommended on this board, mostly heavier blends with no luck and a lighter oil finally helped. I got this last ditch idea off of this board too and it's a great source to reference. I think that I have a lifter problem, possibly a rocker I'm not sure. It's quiet at first start-up, then comes on slowly and it will remain until it warms up and you give it some rpm, then it dissappears. If the car sits for awhile, it will tick on start-up and go away. With all the heavier oils, the tick would come back repeatedly no matter if it was warm or not and was extremely loud. At least with the 0-30 oil, it is only on start-up and not totally embarassing 100% of the time.

Thanks for all the input, hopefully I will be able to return the favor at some time.

Rod
Old 04-30-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not that bad, helped a buddy pull his about a month ago. Don't forget to pick up some new gaskets - there was no way we could reuse his.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:43 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by 1654ROD
This is 2002 Z28, I had heard that the rear bolt on the coil rack was a real pain so I was looking for a way around it. I guess I'll just start with that one to get it out of the way first.
Actually, getting the front ones out, and swinging the bracket around helps a bit IIRC. A 1/4" drive ratchet with a socket or maby a 1" extension and socket may do the trick. I might have also used a 10mm gear wrench, hell I can't remember.

Whenever I'm at Sears and see a nice selection of 1/4" drive accesories, junk or not, I always pick them up. They can get you out of a jam when things get tight.