Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help a Rookie get more HP on his Vette!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a Rookie get more HP on his Vette!

Hi! I recently purchased a 2000 vette. I'm looking to get some more HP without spending more than $2-3K right now. The car already has a Borla exhaust. I've been recommended that I start with an air induction system, throttle body, an X-pipe, and headers. I'm new to hot-rodding, but trying to learn.

As far as headers go...I was looking at a Random Technologies long tube header package from West Coast Corvette that includes high flow Cats and X-pipe. Are long tube headers not street legal in most states?? I'm getting different answers on this. I don't want to put something on the car that will lead to problems with inspections, emissions, etc.. I also heard that long tube headers will decrease my low end torque and should only be installed if I plan on supercharging the car. True??

I would also like the car to have a lower profile. The previous owner put lowering bolts on the rear end, but I think it looks awkward since the front wasn't changed. I was told to put some coil-over shocks which will be height adjustable. Any recommendations?
Old 05-01-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Regular

As far as headers go I would check out texas-speed.com the tsp headers that they make seems like a great deal as far as corvettes go. you guys have some expensive parts. You might want to check out the corvette section.
Not true about the torque it will go up. And if you are goin N/A you will always want headers, just incase later you want a cam... which you will after you are done with the bolt ons.
I dont know nothing about the lowering stuff tho, I like the stock look, but better ask the corvette boys.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What type of emissions testing do you have? If there is a visual inspection you can't run longtubes. LG Motorsports and Texas Speed seem to be the most popular. New Era ports the stock throttle body with good results for not much $$. You will get a bunch of different opinions on the air intake system. Depends on how much you want to spend and what type of design you want.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:12 PM
FormerVendor

definitely get some headers and it will NOT decrease torque. As far as the air induction goes I done the zip tie mod until I went with my supercharger and there was a SOTP difference. If you insist on buying an air induction I would go with the Vararam.

I recently lowered my Vette on the stock bolts, have you read up on the lowering process on these cars?? The front can be lowered using a bolt on the front on each side.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Launching!

On the front bolts there's a bushing on the end, that rests between the leaf spring, and the spring pad. You can lower the bolts all the way, and cut of the rubber portion to gain about another 3/8"-1/2 of lowering. Lower than that, you'll have to spend some $$. Should yield about 1-1/2 to 2" total. The rears can go lower than the fronts with some longer adjustment bolts. These can be bought @ a home store for a couple of bucks or from a Corvette vendor for 20-50. BTW, the fronts screw in, and the rears unscrew to lower.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Thats a good start.

First of all, I think it'll help to know what state you're in and what exactly is your inspection like?

Not knowing that, I'll say this.

You're going to be spending about $2k no matter what, considering you want a full exhaust system (well, minus the catback). No, long tubes arent 100% legal in every state but a lot of states you can get by with them.

Headers you'll get mixed reviews. Dynatech, Kooks and LGM are all great headers. They're pricey, but they're great. For the $$ you're lookin to spend on that setup (altho Im only seeing the Random Tech cats, not the header package) I'd go with the LGM Race setup. Thats proven power, and it'll save you a buck. You wont have cats, but if you HAVE to have cats then the other system might be more viable. And yes, sometimes you lose low end power with header install. But, you gain in the midrange where the LSx engine screams so its worth it.

Induction, again mixed reviews. Guys swear by the zip tie mod, blackwing and vararam. All are great, and are going to net you nearly the same results it comes down to your budget. Vararam is your most expensive option, with it trickling down to the zip tie mod (basically free).

Throttle bodies...eh, not really that worth it w/o going into the engine IMO. You arent looking to make insane power, and the stock C5 unit will work just fine for what you're wanting.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:14 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all your inputs. I heard this was a great website for help and it definitely is.

I'm in Missouri by the way, which does have inspecton and emissions testing.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can get passed the smog just get a tune after the headers and the tuner will know exactly what to do.

On the coil over thing. I put the LG setup on my 99. It was good for me since I can never leave things alone. I was constantly adjusting them. They didn't go that much lower than lowering bolts. If you want them to go lower you need to have the shocks cut down. If you're not a hard driver I wouldn't reccomend them.
Pm if you want more details.

here's some local sites
www.crossedflags.com
www.fastlouis.com <-- F-body site that has a couple of vettes.

Andy
Old 05-02-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want more specific Vette mods (i.e. suspension) check out corvetteforums.com as for headers I really like the look of the LG ones with their catted X pipe and they use Random Technology's 7000 Series Metal Matrix cats (probably the best flowing cats on the market).

Never seen RT's header combo so it's worth doing some research.

As for intake I'd go for the Donaldson Blackwing setup it is well engineered and proven. The Vararam setup seems popular but personally I think it is badly engineered from a company that appears to know little about physics. The only reason it makes good power is shear fluke and the cause of this extra power seems totally unknown by the maker as their website host a massive amount of BS about what their product is supposed to do.

Porting your stock TB will be fine and the addition of a LS6 type induction manifold. TSP sell these new. Although I quite like the look of a new manifold just recently launched with is 85mm and available with a 85mm TB from Professional Products.

In reality that's about all you need to do to begin with on the induction/exhaust front. So I'd probably spend the money on a cam and install kit next. TSP offer some good deals as does Thunder Racing.

For the money you are wanting to spend you should be able to see a genuine 400rwhp or so. Don't worry about getting heads unless you are after more power than that as it will really up the cost.

You'll also need a tune.

If you go for a cam then some gears such as 4.10's would be worth while although they are pricey to do on a Corvette.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Teching In

I saw the RT long tube header setup on West Coast Corvette. Now that I look at it though, maybe it's just the RT Cats installed on a manufactured long tube header.

http://westcoastcorvette.com/ps-250-...r-section.aspx

Any recommendations on a good tuner for the vette?
Old 05-02-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Welcome to the site! Good to see another local guy in here. As Andy said, check out www.fastlouis.com. Quite a few of us Vette and F-body guys over there from St. Louis or the surrounding areas.

Good to see that there's some accurate help being given in here. Everything I was going to say has been pretty much covered, but I'll go over them a bit once again to make myself feel better.

First of all, you should know that modding a Vette is more expensive to do than modding a Mustang or F-body, simply because parts for your car cost more. The suggestion for an intake and full exhaust was a good one, but you'll be spending probably $1k or over to do it. Yes, longtubes are illegal, but pretty much no one gets in trouble for them at all. At least not around our state. No, longtubes will not make you lose low-end torque and are a great mod. Whoever told you to only do it when supercharging needs to learn a little more about modding these cars.

However, you say you want the car lower? Longtube headers hang lower and therefore closer to the ground. Us Camaro and TA guys have a problems sometimes with scraping our longtubes if we're lowered, but I'm not sure if it's a problem on the Vettes too (I'd imagine so). So you can see how adding headers does not always mix with lowering a car. I'd suggest going with the headers though. They improve sound and power so much.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd buy a kooks setup over anything. Then, I'd buy a DTE built rearend.