Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Hi-Flow Cats?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 02:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which Hi-Flow Cats?

So give me your opinions.... this is what i have planned: lt's with a custom 2.5" true dual setup w/(unknown cats) and bullet mufflers dumped. i have hi-flow random tech. cats now which look exactly like this: (in the middle of the page) http://www.randomtechnology.com/products.html on my y but don't want to pay that bank of money again for those... also want to keep my existing y. so whats the best out there for money wise? i want something that flows good but is affordable and that is the same size as my existing ones. flow numbers? will be 3" inlet/outlet and doesn't matter if it doesn't have O2 sensor plug or if it's not legal. thanks!
Old 05-03-2006, 03:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

You want to keep your Y pipe but have duals

Do you mean you want the Y but not on the car?

Also I have no idea which cats you currently have as RT make lots of different ones, the best flowing ones are the 7000 Series Metal Matrix ones (Maganflow also have some of these one their way).

If you just one some reasonable CATS then the Magnaflow Carsound cats are pretty decent (flow ~430cfm) and will be fine on a cammed LS1 if you plan on FI then Metal Matrix cats are the way to go.

For the cost it may just be easier to gas axe your cats out of your Y pipe and use them, you can still keep the Y pipe so if you ever plan to use it again all you need to do is add cats to it.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd get the new Magnaflow metallic cats. These are very nice and are supposed to flow 600 cfm.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/491141-magnaflow-ultra-high-flow-compact-metallic-cat-product-line.html
Old 05-03-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Do you mean you want the Y but not on the car?
YES... I'ma keep the y and (shorties for each time i have to swap for smog

RedneckZ - yea i searched and came up with pretty much nothing but all of the magnaflow cats (and that page made me lean toward those compact ones part # 55959) but have not seen them anywhere for sale... and oxidizr said they would be out back in mid april.

anyways thanks!

Last edited by RrCoX22; 05-03-2006 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

magnaflow cats from qtp are $75 each. qtp uses these in their y-pipes so enough said on the flow.

and for the price, i havent found a cheaper one ANYWHERE!!! period
Old 05-03-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RrCoX22
YES... I'ma keep the y and (shorties ) for each time i have to swap for smog

RedneckZ - yea i searched and came up with pretty much nothing but all of the magnaflow cats (and that page made me lean toward those compact ones part # 55959) but have not seen them anywhere for sale... and oxidizr said they would be out back in mid april.

anyways thanks!

Pm oxidizr. I know you can get these because my friend just ordered two of them. I have the magnaflow high flow cats on my TSP y-pipe, but would like to swap them out for the new metallic cats. The new cats are more durable and flow almost like a straight piece of pipe. I can't remember off the top of my head what a 3" piece of pipe flows, but probably is similar to what these cats flow!

Quick Reply: Which Hi-Flow Cats?