Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seafoam?

Old 05-06-2006, 07:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Seafoam?

Where do you get it and how do you use it? Any issues with using it or is it good maintenance to run through every once in a while? Thanks.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first of all u can get it at any parts store...autozone, advance auto, etc. u can either run it through the pcv line or brake booster line. heres what i do. have someone start the car and stay in it. unhook your brake booster line from the back of the engine bay on the drivers side. it should have a little hose clamp on it. just loosen it with some pliers and slide it down the line. pour the seafoam in a bowl. have the person bring the rpms up to around 1500-2000. this is to keep the car running, cuz it will want to die once u start sucking the fluid through the line. slowly start sucking the seafoam through the brake booster line. when u get down to the last third of the seafoam, bury the hose in the seafoam so it sucks fast. tell the person to kill the engine immediately once all the seafoam is gone. when i say kill the engine, i dont mean turn it off. if they let their foot off the gas, the car WILL die. thats what u want. all the seafoam is sitting in the motor...cleaning, rather than cycling through like the first two thirds of it. let it sit for a half hour or so. start it up (may be a little tough at first) and let it smoke for a while. you are cleaning the combustion chamber. its a good idea to change your oil after this...and i usually change my spark plugs at this time as well. this is good to do about twice a year. i do it every other oil change. anyway, it only costs aroung 5-7 bucks i think. good luck bro

Last edited by Raise; 05-06-2006 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Most auto parts stores carry it. You can put it just about anywhere, you can add it to the oil,gas, or dump it straight in to the intake.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

....And in the end, it does nothing but make a lot of smoke.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:30 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
....And in the end, it does nothing but make a lot of smoke.
Does it really not clean anything and just produce smoke? Or is it really a beneficial project.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

just buy a can and read the instructions. not that hard really
Old 05-06-2006, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
Does it really not clean anything and just produce smoke? Or is it really a beneficial project.
hes just kiddin. it is a worthwhile piece of maintenance to do, especially since its cheap.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:03 AM
TECH Veteran

I put mine in through the pcv port on the front by the TB. I think it might get more evenly distributed that way..but I also pour a can in the gas tank every few thousand miles, and pour some in the oil and let it run for a few minutes before changing my oil. The stuff helped my buddys work truck last another 10-15K miles. It had a knock and some other issues, he started using the Seafoam in it, and it smoothed out and ran alot better for a while, then the motor was just on it's last leg and gave out.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, if you want to really choke out your neighbors, this is the stuff to do it with.

Warm the car up to operating temperature, then pull off the PCV line(the car'll stumble a bit, but should still idle fine). I hooked a separate length of line to the PCV nipple on the intake and just let the engine suck the stuff out of the can till about 1/3 full. Once you're at 1/3, dump the rest into the intake however you were getting it in, and that should kill the engine. If not, just shut it off. Wait 3-5 hours, then start it up and drive it.

I made a group of bikers have to pull over because of all the smoke. It cleans out within a few miles. Good stuff to use, by the way.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea i dumped it in my brake booster cable via a funnel. i let it sit for 20 mins, started it up, let it idle for 10 minutes, then beat the **** out of it. smoked out the pike so bad cars were slamming their brakes. funniest **** in the world.

i picked up another 1-2mpg seriously. it really helped me in the winter. my v6 gets 18mpg in the winter i hit 20 afterwards.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I used it through the brake booster line on my truck. I also dumped 2/3 of the can in the oil and ran it about 300 KM. My fuel milage has increased DRAMATICALLY and I am blowing a lot less my PCV system now. I used to have to dump the catch can every 2 weeks. I havent dumped it yet and its been almost 2 months.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:54 PM
Launching!

Do you really have to change plugs? I just put new plugs in my truck, but will be changing the oil after an upcoming road trip.

Is it better to let the seafoam sit for awhile (>2 hours) or 20 minutes?
Old 05-08-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

damn it! i changed the plugs yesterday and the oil a while back......eeeer next time. anyone have a picture of how it looks.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've never changed the plugs after using Seafoam. No problems.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

excellent (mr burns voice)
Old 05-08-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

ive used it in my trans am and has hardly any smoke at all i guess my motor was clean , i used it in my 1992 oldsmobile and it filled the street haha and moked for 10 mins. runs mich smoother now tho the stuff definatly works but i never was able to kill it by pushingthe tube into the liquid i always let the person in the driverseat cut the engine
Old 05-08-2006, 08:51 PM
12 Second Club

Ive used it on all my cars:

94 v6 cavalier
98 z24
01 Impala
00 LS1

The V6 baby blue beater **** box smoked the most... jesus christ it wouldnt stop.

The LS1 only smoked a bit. I cleaned the intake ports with a toothbrush and some TB cleaner when i put on my LS6 intake anyways.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:21 PM
Launching!

So is this recommended by a majority or even by some people? I am trying to figure out if this is generally a good thing to do every so often.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:22 PM
12 Second Club

I do it like once every 2yrs.

Not something i stress over.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Raise
first of all u can get it at any parts store...autozone, advance auto, etc. u can either run it through the pcv line or brake booster line. heres what i do. have someone start the car and stay in it. unhook your brake booster line from the back of the engine bay on the drivers side. it should have a little hose clamp on it. just loosen it with some pliers and slide it down the line. pour the seafoam in a bowl. have the person bring the rpms up to around 1500-2000. this is to keep the car running, cuz it will want to die once u start sucking the fluid through the line. slowly start sucking the seafoam through the brake booster line. when u get down to the last third of the seafoam, bury the hose in the seafoam so it sucks fast. tell the person to kill the engine immediately once all the seafoam is gone. when i say kill the engine, i dont mean turn it off. if they let their foot off the gas, the car WILL die. thats what u want. all the seafoam is sitting in the motor...cleaning, rather than cycling through like the first two thirds of it. let it sit for a half hour or so. start it up (may be a little tough at first) and let it smoke for a while. you are cleaning the combustion chamber. its a good idea to change your oil after this...and i usually change my spark plugs at this time as well. this is good to do about twice a year. i do it every other oil change. anyway, it only costs aroung 5-7 bucks i think. good luck bro
you change your plugs twice a year? holy crap.. ewww..

Search this Thread