Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flow Tech Headers-Starter Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Flow Tech Headers-Starter Clearance

If I install Flow Tech headers ('01 FBody), will my Powermaster hi torque starter clear them? The starter can be clocked, but it's normal position puts it out far enough to interfere with the stock cast iron headers. Do the Flow Tech's give any more room next to the starter than the cast iron headers? The next best clocking position places the starter down low, but the battery terminal is dangerously close to the block. Anyone running Flow Tech's?
Thanks,
Andy1
Old 05-09-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't run them purely because their quality is complete ****.

There's a reason several big name sponsors stopped carrying Flowtech headers altogether. For right around the same price, you can get some nice Pacesetters.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have the flowtechs already? If not, then I'd buy some pacesetters instead. Flowtechs are not made well. They have tiny flanges and are known to leak.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

Ok then, how about the clearance if I use PaceSetter headers?

Andy1
Old 05-09-2006, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Andy1
Ok then, how about the clearance if I use PaceSetter headers?

Andy1
Mine slipped right in, with good clearance. I think "most" of the clearance problems are more related to the car and not the header. You will find clearance issues and lack thereof, with any header made. The pacesetters are a nice fitting, well made header in general though.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
Mine slipped right in, with good clearance. I think "most" of the clearance problems are more related to the car and not the header. You will find clearance issues and lack thereof, with any header made. The pacesetters are a nice fitting, well made header in general though.
Redneck Z,

Would you mind taking a look at the clearance, or the distance between your stock starter and the closest header tube. What would you *estimate* the clearance/distance is?

Thanks,

Andy1
Old 05-09-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I am looking into new Edelbrocks...looked at some Pacesetters the other day---you guys keep saying they are ok...I saw 2 different pairs and they were awful....for a little more Edelbrocks even look better than HOOKER and they are made in the US and not mexico like hookers.....did u check out edel. ????...also I did ask about those flowtechs and they said they wouldn't sell them to anybody.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
I am looking into new Edelbrocks...looked at some Pacesetters the other day---you guys keep saying they are ok...I saw 2 different pairs and they were awful....for a little more Edelbrocks even look better than HOOKER and they are made in the US and not mexico like hookers.....did u check out edel. ????...also I did ask about those flowtechs and they said they wouldn't sell them to anybody.

What didn't you like about the Pacesetters? The thick flanges? The nice welds? Ceramic coating? Hooker's don't look any better than the pacesetters, and even have a thinner flange..