Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Bolts

I got the first five off somewhat easily on the driver's side, but how the hell do I get the back bolt to even budge?!? (EGR and AIR removed already)

As for the passenger side...I can't even see the back two bolts yet alone get to them. Any tips for that side? It seems that the air conditioning stuff is in the way. Not to mention I dropped my 10mm wrench when trying to get the second bolt off and it has now disappeared on me. Any ideas where a wrench could hide in this thing lol...damn these things are tight to work with.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:04 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tiny socket and hand.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back drivers side, use a 1/4 drive ratchet, 1 inch extension, and 10mm short socket
For the pass side, get the back one from the bottom, and the next to last from the top (that was the biggest PITA of all the bolts) I used the 1/4 ratchet, and short socket.
For the wrench, look down by the starter, I dropped mine several times, and it ended up there
Old 05-09-2006, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

The back 2 bolts on each side are a bich...even with a lift. I found that by using a 10MM, swivel-head, ratcheting box wrench, it gave my hand more room than if I tried to use a socket wrench...even a teeny 1/4" drive.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Tech Resident

Get rid of your A/C system... you've got T-tops for a reason

Yeah it really can be a PITA, and your wrench may be sitting on top of the K-member, i think ive heard that area described as the "bermuda triangle" because everything just disapeares there.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:53 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My stuff always ends up in the k-member, around the steering rack, when I drop it. I found a coil pack bolt in there the other day from like 18 months ago.

I have a 1/4" drive air ratchet that I use EXTENSIVELY. I usually have to work my *** off to get something broken loose, then it's just a matter of snapping on the right swivels, extensions, wobble heads, etc. to make it work effortlessly.

Here's my sparkplug change gear. That big 3/8" ratchet has been a life saver a few times. One of my buddies left it over here while I was putting his headers on. I've been "keeping an eye on it" ever since.