Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LM Bullet on stock exhaust

Old 05-10-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LM Bullet on stock exhaust

If I put a LM I bullet on the stock exhaust, will it sound like a LM? Has anyone done something similar to this with another type of bullet or resonator?
Old 05-10-2006, 02:15 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is still gonna sound like a stock exhaust since you are still going through the *ahem* stock exhaust. The muffler is what would be holding you back from the sound you are looking for.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

For the amount of fabrication you would have to do it would be easier to just replace the stock muffler with something else. When I got my car it had a Flowmaster crossflow on it sounded pretty decent, though you could probably find something else that flows better-short of getting a new cat-back set up.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

put a lm resonator in the i-pipe and cut out the stock muffler and weld in a 2.75 inch pipe. . . . that's your loudmouth system, . . . .
Old 05-10-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
put a lm resonator in the i-pipe and cut out the stock muffler and weld in a 2.75 inch pipe. . . . that's your loudmouth system, . . . .
Except lm is 3" and its made of stainless but yea same ****, keep the stock exhaust and get a electric cutout
Old 05-11-2006, 04:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
Except you'd only have one tailpipe unless you fab a Y pipe up after the axle.

The stock muffler sits at the back of the car and has 1 inlet and 2 outles - for each exahsut tip, so no you can't simply replace it with any form of bullet muffler.

A Flowmaster/Maganflow or any other 1 in 2 out muffler could be fabbed in place but I think the cost and hassle would just not be worth the result as your exhaust would still be mild steel and 2.5" tubing.

Just buy a catback and be done with it. The TSP Rumbler is only a little bit over $200 and $400 will easily give you lots of choice.

A cutout is an option, but they still need installing can be a pain if you get a manual one often leak when shut and will be redundant if you do ever swap over to a better exhaust and mid pipe because you'll need a different sized cutout to work with them. Plus on a good catback a cutout won't offer any real HP benefit.

Search this Thread