Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will 2.25" intlet on exhaust tips restrict the flow ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 01:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think about these Magnaflow exhaust tips ?

I'm getting TSP TD and I want to get 2.5" tail pipes out the back under the axle. Now, I just found some nice magnaflow tips but they have 2.25" inlet size and 4" outlet. Can anyone tell me if 2.25" intlet on these tips would restrict the flow on my exhaust ?
Thanks a lot for all your help guys !!!

Last edited by Super Sport Beast; 05-11-2006 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Unless you're pushing over 450rwhp they won't have any real effect, even if you are they won't hurt it much IMO.

However I think they'll loook HORRID as the pipe will have to neck down to fit the tip then bazooka out like a funnel. Are you sure you where reading the specs correct on the tips?

IMO it would not do the car justice. Some 3" tips would work better or maybe 3.5" although it will still look odd going form 2.5" tubing.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:51 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the trucks/suv section of Magnaflow.com, they have bigger inlet diameter tips in that section. You can then search the magnaflow part number and the word "magnaflow" on eBay and find them for 1/2 price.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

These tips are Magnaflow part # 35164 (4" Diameter 2.25" I.D. Inlet 8.25" Length) Check them out, let me know what you think.
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=681
Old 05-11-2006, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

make sure you get them at least a foot long cause when you walk from the side of the car you will see it go from 2.25" to 4" and it will look real bad. on a T/A its not a prob cause there tips are up in the bumper and not just hanging below it. this is what i went with http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting there alot cheaper than the magnaflows and stil are polished stainless.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes it will effect flow. It is simple physics.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

All you have to do is cut down the tip where it necks down. Cut it when it comes down from the 4" to 3".
Old 05-11-2006, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Order 66
All you have to do is cut down the tip where it necks down. Cut it when it comes down from the 4" to 3".
That sounds like a very good idea, I'll talk to my local shop, see if they could either expand the intlet or cut down where it goes to 2.25, one or the other I'll do something to make them look and flow like they should, cuz I just love the rolled edge and double wall. Actually when you look at slp 3.5" double wall tips, those are not that much different from these 4" Magnaflows. Plus - you get the rolled edge. and come on, 1/2 of an inch is really not that much visible that it could hurt your eyes and I'm sure they won't look like any bazookas. just sharp and right !!!
Old 05-11-2006, 10:16 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by ninetres
yes it will effect flow. It is simple physics.
Well how about this, when the exhaust gas gets to the tips, it has cooled down and condensed to a point where it won't need 3" to have the same flow as the collectors. As it cools down, the CFM drops. It will flow less than 3", this is un-deniable, but does if it matters or not is the question.

Rolled tips is where it's at. Slash cut, single wall is what this guy is ordering..........

Old 05-11-2006, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Quote:
Slash cut, single wall is what this guy is ordering...plus the pic...

buuahahahahahhahahahaha
that is halariuos ...TheBlurLS1... You're right there's nothing better than rolled edge, double wall tips. Our cars deserve that massive look on their tails !!!
Old 05-11-2006, 11:09 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by Super Sport Beast
Quote:
Slash cut, single wall is what this guy is ordering...plus the pic...

buuahahahahahhahahahaha
that is halariuos ...TheBlurLS1... You're right there's nothing better than rolled edge, double wall tips. Our cars deserve that massive look on their tails !!!
The rolled tips go great with the back bumper, AKA "The Dirt Shelf".

I believe blaSSt coined that phrase, it's accurate though!
Old 05-11-2006, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

lol...
well the thing about camaros is that exhaust tips options are very limited, and its difficult to choose the right ones, not like the T/A where they have those cut outs for tips in thier bumpers. that makes things much easier, IMO- you can put any kind of tips on T/A and it will always look good. ohh well to bad I like how my SS looks that much... lol

Quick Reply: Will 2.25" intlet on exhaust tips restrict the flow ?