Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pacesetters emissions or race style

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pacesetters emissions or race style

I have a 99 T/A I can't decide if I should get the pacesetter LT's with the EGR AIR provisions and just block them off or get the race versions. the only reason I'm thinking about getting the ones with EGR+AIR is I'm in oklahoma and heard they might bring back inspection and emmisions testing. I know LT's move the location of the cats so technically you could fail, if the inspector was a complete ***. So saying inpsection comes back and I hook the air egr back up install some cats and get it tuned could I pass a visual and the computer testing. Or will LT's period fail with about any inspector. I ask because we haven't had inspection since I got my license. So I've never seen how throughly they check a car.

Edited

since I already have these systems deleted and block offs on my stock manifolds in would on take 5 mins to tranfers the block offs. A new ? can up does the provisions for the AIR+EGR hurt the clearance when installing I now pacesetters usually go pretty easy but never installed a EGR AIR set. are the hook up in the way. has anybody installed a EGR AIR before? did you have to Jack the motor or do anything else you didn't have to with the race set?

Last edited by lt1formula2000; 05-12-2006 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:55 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get the codes tuned out, you won't fail the computer testing with the equipment removed.

I say go for the race-style, delete the ****, have the codes tuned out, and cross that bridge when you get there. In 99% of all visual inspections, they aren't looking specifically for EGR/AIR. You have to remember that most inspectors aren't that well versed in LS1 cars.

Visual inspection means they look for the cats and make sure they're in place. Only in California, or somewhere that strict, would the actually check to see if your car comes with EGR and if it's still in place.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yah I know to tune the codes out and with the cam I will definately fail the sniffer. I wish I knew what kind of test method they will use. I just thought that since they are the same price and it would take me 5 mins. to transfer the block offs I already have on my stock manifolds to the headers it might be worth it. another ? I've only installed the race no provision headers before, do the EGR AIR hook ups get in the way of the headers slipping in place.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW they (if they do bring back inspections) will only do emissions in OKC or Tulsa, as they seem to have quite a few "Ozone alert" days there, most of the rest of the state likely won't require testing
Inspections in OK were only for safety (lights, signals, wipers, horn, e brake, that sort of thing)
As for whether it will pass with race style headers, if they do OBD2 testing ( check PCM for codes) then with some tuning you can do whatever you want as long as the codes don't show up.
If they do a visual, then you'll need the AIR/EGR to at least be there.
FWIW unless the feds make them do it, I don't see them voluntarily bringing inspections (either emissions or safety) back
Too many people like not having to do them anymore
If worse comes to worse register the car in KS, no inspections at all up here