Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I have this cutout on right??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Do I have this cutout on right??

Here's a dumb question, is this cutout on right, or is it backwards? I ask because when I close the cutout, it will close all the way but as soon as I release the switch it cracks open a bit so it is not sealing like it should be

Here's a link as the photo is rather large - here
Old 05-14-2006, 12:44 AM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good to me. I think that most have the tendency to stay open a bit cause of the exhaust trying to exit? I think thats what I remember reading atleast.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:51 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah from what ive read about the electronic cutouts they do tend to leak a little but not sure how noticable it is
Old 05-14-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

It's kind of a pain though...When I have the motor held closed with the switch it sounds just like it did w/o the cutout...but when I let go it cracks open, and it doesn't sound good because it's not fully open nor closed, so it's like a leak type of sound.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by keliente
It's kind of a pain though...When I have the motor held closed with the switch it sounds just like it did w/o the cutout...but when I let go it cracks open, and it doesn't sound good because it's not fully open nor closed, so it's like a leak type of sound.
do you have a qtp because that is what my dads does too, i got the one off eaby and i think it has a better motor, mine has never done that yet and i open and close it about everyday for the last year
Old 05-14-2006, 11:10 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chrs1313
do you have a qtp because that is what my dads does too, i got the one off eaby and i think it has a better motor, mine has never done that yet and i open and close it about everyday for the last year
I've got the same one as Chris, and I have it mounted the same was as in the picture. I have a leak from somewhere as well, but haven't been able to figure out where yet. I don't think I can audibly tell there is a leak, but if I put my hand near it I can feel air coming out when it should be closed. I might check and see if when I hold the switch closed if that ends the leak, then I know it's the valve.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:34 AM
12 Second Club

I've never had a leak and I've had it for 2 years. My cutout opens and closes fully.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chrs1313
Yeah i've got the QTP.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Default Paging Barry or somebody from QTP

I have the Qtec also. I don't know what is the "Right Way," but I have mine installed 180 out from the way you have it and I don't have any sealing issues like you describe. I just reviewed their site and I didn't see any pictures stating either way. I just thought that if you put it with the lip facing out that the pressure would push the butterfly blade naturally against it. It seems as though the way you have it would preclude the pressure wanting to push the blade out with no lip thus blowing it slightly open = ghetto exhaust sound. Maybe Barry or somebody from QTP can chime in. I put my cutout in the same location as you but I fabbed up a turn down so as keep the flow away from the floor when open so unfortuneatly my pics don't show what I am talking about.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

The illustrations on their site show it installed like in your pic. Installed mine the same way. I have my broken unit here (lost motor portion on a hard launch) and no matter which side you mount to the cutout the butterfly still opens from the top when putting pressure on it.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Well that sucks. Is there anything I can do to help it seal better?
Old 05-14-2006, 01:56 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Well, I just went back on their site and looked at all of the customers pics and it looks as though both ways are employed. You would think that they wouldn't post up a picture of their product if it was installed incorrectly?!?
I don't know what to tell you about that.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ru2n00n3er
I've got the same one as Chris, and I have it mounted the same was as in the picture. I have a leak from somewhere as well, but haven't been able to figure out where yet. I don't think I can audibly tell there is a leak, but if I put my hand near it I can feel air coming out when it should be closed. I might check and see if when I hold the switch closed if that ends the leak, then I know it's the valve.

How you been bud i just got back home yesterday from school you been to 41 lately, i wanna go soon i am getting the itch
Old 05-15-2006, 10:51 PM
12 Second Club

I realized mine isn't sealing all the way either. If I hold down the switch it's quiet, and if I let off the close then it gets a bit louder, so I know it opens back up a little bit. The instructions with mine mentioned that if you tightened the bolts to much it could warp the valve slightly, thus keeping it from sealing correctly.

How you been bud i just got back home yesterday from school you been to 41 lately, i wanna go soon i am getting the itch
Been good, glad classes are done. I'm actually working over the summer for Toyota in Ann Arbor, so I won't be back down there until fall.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats why i got a manual, yea i gotta get under the car.....BUT it doesnt leak and it was 150 dollars less
Old 05-16-2006, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by staringback05
thats why i got a manual, yea i gotta get under the car.....BUT it doesnt leak and it was 150 dollars less
werd, and it gets my shirts dirty.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:07 AM
Launching!

Well, looking at it I don't see how it could be mounted any other way. Flip it around and the lip is still going to be on the inside. Mine is mounted the same way.

Is it brand new? I started to have leaking problems about a year after I had it. I took it apart because the motor was loose and found that it is pretty cheaply made (plastic gears, evidently no lok tite), cleaned it, and put it back together nice and tight (and with lok tite ) and haven't had any problems since. The loose motor wouldn't allow the plate to hold a tight seal because the gears weren't meshed tight and the exhaust pressure would allow a little movement from it.

If that doesn't work you can put rtv on the lips and give it something plieble to seal to.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:04 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I found that i drive around with mine wide open when I had them.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blackrat
Well, looking at it I don't see how it could be mounted any other way. Flip it around and the lip is still going to be on the inside. Mine is mounted the same way.

Is it brand new? I started to have leaking problems about a year after I had it. I took it apart because the motor was loose and found that it is pretty cheaply made (plastic gears, evidently no lok tite), cleaned it, and put it back together nice and tight (and with lok tite ) and haven't had any problems since. The loose motor wouldn't allow the plate to hold a tight seal because the gears weren't meshed tight and the exhaust pressure would allow a little movement from it.

If that doesn't work you can put rtv on the lips and give it something plieble to seal to.
It's used. They offered to rebuild it if I send it back in, so after this next track day, I will.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:03 AM
TECH Veteran

I need to send mine back as well. I finally had to just leave it off b/c I got tired of messing with it.