Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What muffler to substitute for LM1 resonator (don't want the normal response)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Question What muffler to substitute for LM1 resonator (don't want the normal response)

I've got a 408 that will be breathing very well through some ported heads, 1 7/8 stepped LT's, 3" ORY, and the LM1 cat-back. I'm not looking for huge flow, but looking to eliminate the damn rasp and drone. I can handle a bit of restriction back there as I will be putting dual cutouts into the Y. The following are my criteria:

1) ELIMINATES RASP/DRONE
2) sounds great (duh)
3) Has good clearance (LT's already scrape over bumps, don't need something else scraping)
3) Will flow decently well with the LT/ORY setup and cutouts closed

I know the typical response will be "Dynomouth" but I'd like to actually put some thought into this one and not just go with the popular response. I've heard some dynomouth setups that still had rasp and I'm certainly not trying to deal with that. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:19 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Twisters maybe?
Old 05-14-2006, 11:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

mmmmmm, KFC Twister....

j/k, link me up scottie.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:29 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Clip for ya ------ https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...light=twisters

Just found these as well ----- http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...711+115+400359

Here are the flo pro twisters ----- http://www.flopro.com/Twister.htm

They have a more refined sound to them compared to the bullets and ST's. Although some people have bitched about a fluttering sound with the twisters.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

Classic Chambered Powerstick muffler
Old 05-14-2006, 11:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Lithium
Clip for ya ------ https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...light=twisters

Just found these as well ----- http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...711+115+400359

Here are the flo pro twisters ----- http://www.flopro.com/Twister.htm

They have a more refined sound to them compared to the bullets and ST's. Although some people have bitched about a fluttering sound with the twisters.
I like the sound of them and it looks like they do come in the 3"in/out combo which I would want. As for the other mufflers from summit, I need to stick with a bullet type muffler due to clearance all the way around. On a more general note though, I'm confused as to what length muffler would be best to use. Just like the dynomax bullets I don't know which one to get.

Where can I find the chambered powerstick and how much does it run?
Old 05-14-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Also, keep in mind that the way a muffler sounds on a 346 is much more tame than the way it sounds on a 408 (which is why I started this thread, to get suggestions for a bigger cube setup).
Old 05-14-2006, 11:46 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Yeah I am still saying twisters.

I am pretty sure the powerstick is just like a bullet?
Old 05-14-2006, 11:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, it wouldn't be twister(s) since I'm only planning on putting a muffler in the I-pipe to replace the SLP resonator. A twister looks like a good option though. Thanks for the heads up man.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:59 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

just rememberd this thread as well - looks promising.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/496730-borla-xr1-s-dynatech-split-flow-mufflers.html
Old 05-15-2006, 12:12 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take that junk off and put an SLP dual/dual on it. It'll be nice and tame with a decent sound and great flow. Put something else in the i-pipe for a little more tame-ness.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

No way am I putting a dual/dual on, I hate that look. I absolutely love the SLP tips so I'm just looking to get rid of the crappy rasp.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:40 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
No way am I putting a dual/dual on, I hate that look. I absolutely love the SLP tips so I'm just looking to get rid of the crappy rasp.
Flowmaster catback with your SLP tips. I'll sell you one with some z-28 tips you could hack off for about tree-fidy.

Seriously though, you'll have great sound, and it's cheap. The dual cutouts will give you plen-t-o-flow too.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:56 AM
Restricted User

and in reference to if u stay with the bullet style mufflers/resonators...i think u already know that the shorter the less affect it will have on the exhaust note...so try n get something that IS NOT fiberglass bullshit packed because it will get loud and raspy again in a pretty short time, so my advice is go with nice quality resonators and get 'em as long as possible, or put multiple short ones on it...(one in the i-pipe, and 2 before each tip, 3 might be quieter than 1, who knows technically it should work)

anyways have u taken a look at the borla xr1? they might be quieter than others or even that single inlet/outlet magnaflow some pple use might also work well...

hope some of my useless info helps lol..., i have always had my car LOUD as hell so i cant really reccommend anything to tame ur's....although my Dynomax bullet is considerably quiet at idle and cruising, but @ 2100rpm or WOT= sounds like the fuckkkkkin world is gona end
Old 05-15-2006, 04:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lithium
Yeah I am still saying twisters.

I am pretty sure the powerstick is just like a bullet?
A Powerstick is the COMPLETE opporsit of a bullet muffler. It's a chambered defection style muffler.

To answer the orignal poster question, any straight muffler swap for something of a similar physical size will still be loud. And rasp??? Well I'm not entirly sure what all this talk is about rasp is as I think to many people claim rasp when it's not. But that aside the LS1 has it's own unique sound the more muffler you have the more toned the sound will be, maybe this is what you are after.

In essence you can replace the LM resonator with ANY bullet muffler of similar dimensions, such as:
-Borla XR-1
-Dynomax
-Magnaflow

As the common ones, but hay do a search on Google and there are hundreds and hundres of muffler makers, most of which will offer a suitable bullet muffler. They will all flow similar and give a similar sound because at the end of the day they are all basically the same thing, a tube with glass or metal packing and a serrated core.

You could try running two of theses mufflers one after the other is space permits, or try adding a small muffler before each tip.

The other route is to go for a chambered muffler (these work by deflection to reduce the noise where as bullets, or glass packs use an absorption method to reduce noise).

Powersticks are mufflers like you find on the GMMG exhaust, they flow very well but still may have some "rasp". You could run one in the I pipe of decent lenght and then shorter ones before each tip. Or combine them with a small glass pack muffler.

Flowmaster 10 Series mufflers are also chambered style but look very different to the Powerstick, many people swear by these.

Just remember the larger the diameter of a bullet the more packing it contains, this means the increase in noise supression and tonal quality.

With chambered mufflers the longer the muffler generally the more toned the sound will be.

As an easy/cheap swap just try fitting a Magnaflow muffler in place of the LM resonator. If it's still too loud or you don't like the tone at least you'll know where you stand.

Either that or just swap in a different exhaust completely.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think I may end up going with a magnaflow muffler welded into the i-pipe and see what that does. I've heard a lot of good things about those quieting things down and eliminating rasp, but still flowing damn well.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

get a moroso spiral flow welded in the i-pipe 3" in and out, you'll thank yourself. I have that and a cutout AFTER the spiral flow. sounds deep and throaty. I get stopped all the time with people asking me what kind of exhaust, saying they've never heard an fbod sound that good. I'm h/c stock cubes.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:27 PM
dug
Banned

Maybe an ultraflo muffler with the inlet and outlet offset to the same side. Might fit with the bfhm.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think I may end up going with a magnaflow muffler welded into the i-pipe and see what that does. I've heard a lot of good things about those quieting things down and eliminating rasp, but still flowing damn well.
I'm doing that myself I can't wait, from what i've heard its evil! Quite tame and good tone.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:00 PM
That's what she said...

Crager has a Borla XR-1 in the I-pipe for his. His car makes 550+ N/A.

Quick Reply: What muffler to substitute for LM1 resonator (don't want the normal response)