Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need a new Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need a new Alternator?

I have been getting intermitten voltage drops in which the volts drop swiftly, then after a few minutes come back up just as fast. I believe it to be the regulator in the Alternator. I tested this by disconnecting the battery when the volts were low. The car immediately shut off.
The Alternator is a Palladium I bought at Advanced Auto 6 months back. I am very hesitant to replace this with the same Alternator. I do not want to keep replacing the alternator with crap.

Anyone have any luck with any other brands? Specifically DIRECT REPLACEMENT alternators?

This is on my 99 LS1 TA

-Fredzep
Old 05-18-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just go get the OEM GM alternator, it's more $$$, but it works and lasts.
Those Chinese remaned alternators you get from the parts houses are a crap shoot, sometime it takes 6 to get a good one, other times you get a good one first time
It took me 6 tries to get one that would work for more than a week for my Z, I could change the alternator in 5 mins in the parking lot, after the 6th one I said F*ck it and got a new GM one, no problems after that
Old 05-18-2006, 09:06 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, your alt is toast.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could go with an Afterthoughts altenator as well. They're 160 amp and arent to bad price wise. I got one a couple of years ago and I have a massive stereo setup and its still going strong. They're a sponser over there ------------>.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteRhino
You could go with an Afterthoughts altenator as well. They're 160 amp and arent to bad price wise. I got one a couple of years ago and I have a massive stereo setup and its still going strong. They're a sponser over there ------------>.

Do you know who the "company with over 20 years quality experience in the industry" that makes these Alternators for Afterthoughts is? Also, Thanks for the Suggestion!

-Fredzep
Old 05-18-2006, 10:34 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you mess up the tiny wire in the weathertight connector that plugs into the top when you were pulling the stocker? Some people get excited and rip that out, it's the exciter wire.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
Just go get the OEM GM alternator, it's more $$$, but it works and lasts.
Those Chinese remaned alternators you get from the parts houses are a crap shoot, sometime it takes 6 to get a good one, other times you get a good one first time
It took me 6 tries to get one that would work for more than a week for my Z, I could change the alternator in 5 mins in the parking lot, after the 6th one I said F*ck it and got a new GM one, no problems after that
I havent had any problems with my reman. alt. but my power steering pump sucks i will be geing my 3rd one soon stupid reman. crap i think they just clean them up and resell them dont get a reman. get a new one it coast more but you dont have to change them 6 times to get a good one.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Talk With Nathan At Excessive Amperage .com Hes A Good Guy With Really Good Alternators