Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Belt Questions LS1 NEWB

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Belt Questions LS1 NEWB

Hi, I"m in the middle of dropping an ls1/t56 in 93 rx-7 and getting the motor prepped I noticed I dont have a tensioner or know where it goes if I had it lol and what direction the water pump should turn so I can route a custom belt in there since there is no A/C either. Any help would be awsome. I can find out what size I need with a string and measure it but I dotn have a clue of the stock layout of accessories for an f-body 99 ls1

Thanks,
Kyle
Old 05-19-2006, 04:16 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bottom right is alternator, one to the left of it is idler, top right is power steering, top left is tensioner.

Katech makes a BADASS tensioner. When you just delete the A/C system, the rest of the belt configuration remains unchanged, as it has it's own seperate belt/pullies (bottom right of that pic).

The tensioner bolts to the waterpump.

Damn I should be getting paid for this, it's hot as hell outside.....
Old 05-19-2006, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Awsome, thanks man, Looks like all I have is the water pump, idler, ps, and alt. Need to get a tensioner. cool that little diagram is what I need to see what direction the water pump spins.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:48 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by PipeJones
Awsome, thanks man, Looks like all I have is the water pump, idler, ps, and alt. Need to get a tensioner. cool that little diagram is what I need to see what direction the water pump spins.
There was a guy doing a swap into an old shelby cobra a while back. He was looking to run the ultimate shortbelt mod, so he busted the water pump open, removed the impeller, machined a new one with reverse fins, then re-installed it. He then had the first reverse flowing LSx cooling system.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/501358-introducing-katech-s-new-design-billet-belt-tensioner-now-pulley-same-price.html

I think one of those bad boys would be right up your alley.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:10 PM
Teching In

Cool, the Tensioner looks like a set deal. When I looked at the diagram a little closer it looks the the belt rotating directions look to be conflicting. What gives? Is the water pump suppoed to turn clockwise or counter? what directions is the crank moving? I can work out the specifics lol
Old 05-19-2006, 05:45 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by PipeJones
Cool, the Tensioner looks like a set deal. When I looked at the diagram a little closer it looks the the belt rotating directions look to be conflicting. What gives? Is the water pump suppoed to turn clockwise or counter? what directions is the crank moving? I can work out the specifics lol
Looking at the front of the motor, the crank turns clockwise. I always think about which way the pinion turns, which is counter clockwise from the rear of the car.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Bottom right is alternator, one to the left of it is idler, top right is power steering, top left is tensioner.

Katech makes a BADASS tensioner. When you just delete the A/C system, the rest of the belt configuration remains unchanged, as it has it's own seperate belt/pullies (bottom right of that pic).

The tensioner bolts to the waterpump.

Damn I should be getting paid for this, it's hot as hell outside.....

Thanks for the plug.

Even better news, the new tensioner design now comes with the pulley installed at no extra charge. Now you don't have to hunt down parts at the dealer, everything is already put together. Give me a call if you want to order.

866-KATECH1

Thanks

Quick Reply: LS1 Belt Questions LS1 NEWB