Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers + true duals = too loud, opinions on quieter exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers + true duals = too loud, opinions on quieter exhaust?

I have had my Kooks 1 3/4 headers and 3in Lane's True Duals for about a year. While I love the sound, this is my daily driver, and I feel its too loud.

Can someone give me some advice on a quieter exhaust setup?
Old 05-25-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

Use Borla XR-1 mufflers instead of the bullets. Those bullets are hardly mufflers at all.

Or go back to the Y-pipe to Catback setup. Considering your mods you won't be losing much if any horsepower with a good flowing setup. Looks better IMO as well...
Old 05-25-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sdbrown84
Use Borla XR-1 mufflers instead of the bullets. Those bullets are hardly mufflers at all.

Or go back to the Y-pipe to Catback setup. Considering your mods you won't be losing much if any horsepower with a good flowing setup. Looks better IMO as well...

I installed some Jet Hots a week ago and left my SLP CME setup on the car. It sound GREAT !! Nice low tone with dirving and cruising around, but REALLY GREAT sound at WOT !!
Old 05-25-2006, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

Ya, I want to go back to a y-pipe and catback setup. But my biggest fear is I spend alot of money on a new setup and it turns out raspy or sounds like crap.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

Sometimes there is trial, error, and damn near start over. Overall it is preference. Alot of members on here love the TD with no mufflers at all, but it is all preference in the end.

Honestly I was in the same boat, TD's didn't sound right to be because of the loudness, possible fumes, and I like the look of a tailpipe on these cars. Make one investment for a good flowing Y, make it catted to avoid the rasp, and your choice of catback. Don't change it, odds are you will not outflow the piping for the length you own the car, unless you go all out racing.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's never too loud until you make ears bleed.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Iron Sights
It's never too loud until you make ears bleed.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

keep your setup and get diff mufflers or put on two more
Old 05-25-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

do you still have your cats on??
Old 05-26-2006, 08:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Let me know if you want to sell your TDs.....I am in KY...take care

John
Old 05-26-2006, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

I went through the same decision man. I had LTs and duals but it was just too loud. Instead I had a custom Y-Pipe with a flowmaster merge built by a local shop for pretty cheap, and a Hooker catback put on. They welded up everything nicely and it sounds beautiful. Pretty low idle sound but WOT sounds fantastic. My SOTP meter tells me the car felt a little quicker at launch, with no noticable change to the top end. Plus my car only has the normal f-body rattles instead of the teeth jarring TD rattles
Old 05-26-2006, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't have cats, you could just add them and could prolly be good to go.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

This has been my experience, recommendations will follow:

1. Stock manifolds / SLP Dual/Dual : Stock setup, don't remember it much, but I know it was very mellow and almost un-noticeable.

2. Stock manifolds / SLP Loudmouth : Sounded absolutely incredible IMO. Except for the insane cabin drone at around 2200 rpms, it sounded great.

3. Kooks Lts / ORY / SLP LM : Ugh, ***. That's all I have to say about that.

4a. Kooks Lts / ORX / TSP TDs : Great sound, very deep and aggressive. Everything in the car rattled and clunked, very loud drone at 2000-2500 rpms.

4b. Added a 3500 stall TCI and this thing got f'n crazy. Way too much for my D/D.

5a. Kooks Lts / ORY / Hooker Catback : Very nice sound, not too loud at cruising or idle, SCREAMS at WOT. Still a little bit of rasp because the ORY, but MUCH less than the LM.

5b. Added the small cam in my sig and things got hairy again. Hooker became just a little too loud for my tastes.

6. Kooks Lts / ORY / SLP Dual/Dual : I could have saved over $1k if I never dumped my stock exhaust for the LM. This is the absolute best sounding setup I have personally ever heard on an F-body next to TDs. Quiet as a mouse idling and cruising. Nice deep, throaty, growl during PT accel. Gets much louder at WOT, but still quieter than the Hooker. This exhaust SOUNDS restrictive when you get on it, but evidence shows it flow with the best of 'em. I am very happy with this setup and will likely NOT change it.

As you can see, I've changed my exhaust more times than I change my underwear in a week before finally finding something I like. You will likely go through the same **** as me until you find something. IMO, it's a big mistake to make an exhaust decision based on internet opinions or even sound clips. You'll figure it out through trial and error. I would have to recommend the SLP Dual/Dual for a daily driver though.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This was my answer to the same delima. If I did it again I would do Spiral Flows to quiet it down slightly more. Its still tons quieter than the dumps and bullets that were on it. Took me three weekends but I am happy with the end result.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/462130-done-exhaust-3-2-5-true-duals-over-axle-lots-pics.html
Old 05-30-2006, 11:54 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the same position after about a year of having TSP TD's, I had cats put in and had the pipes run under the axle and out the back. There's pics in my sig if you're interested. It sounds very nice on the inside and it's alot more tame driving around town now.

Quick Reply: Headers + true duals = too loud, opinions on quieter exhaust?