Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I.....Remove a March Underdrive pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I.....Remove a March Underdrive pulley?

I have an underdrive pulley and it doesn't remove the same way the stock one comes off. any questions? Here is a pic.

I tried to use a universal harmonic balancer type pulley but the foot is not big enough.

Old 05-28-2006, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Good question. I went out and looked at mine and my universal puller wont work either....Might have to make something....You would think if they were going to design it to be taken off with a bolt style puller they would make it work with what most people have in the garage.

Last edited by Psycho Dave; 05-28-2006 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

I've been to just about every auto part store and nothing. I bought a huge 6" heavy duty jaw type puller that might fit over the pulley. I'll see if this works.

Other than this plan, does anyone else have suggestions? I went to March Performance website and they don't seem to have a special removal tool.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to use a large steering wheel/harmonic balancer remover like this one:

Make sure the tool is the larger type. The small ones sold at Auto Zone aren't big enough. For the bolts, use the 10mm M8 head bolts.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:08 AM
10 Second Club

yea, i have this pulley as well, and it was a bitch to get off during my camswap
Old 05-29-2006, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Thanks Badfnz
Old 05-29-2006, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BADFNZ

Make sure the tool is the larger type. The small ones sold at Auto Zone aren't big enough. For the bolts, use the 10mm M8 head bolts.
THats the set I tried but the foot was too small. Where can I find a set like this with a large size foot? You would think that March Performance would sell a removal tool for their own pulleys on their website.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99SilverZ
THats the set I tried but the foot was too small. Where can I find a set like this with a large size foot? You would think that March Performance would sell a removal tool for their own pulleys on their website.
I thought Snap-On made a bigger one but I can't find it on their website. I called March and they said they don't have anything to remove it with. Thanks guys

There are 2 different size "foot" type pullers. One's max spread is something like 3.75" and the other is 4.5". The 3.75" is what most auto parts stores sell, but I wonder if the 4.5" is even big enough. If not, then we might have to use a universal hub puller or something. I'm going through the same dilema now.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when you get it off, you should drill and tap 3 holes closer to the center.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Grimes
when you get it off, you should drill and tap 3 holes closer to the center.
When I get it off I'm going to make my own tool, but until then, I have to find a way to get it off
Old 06-01-2006, 07:33 AM
TECH Regular

I have a large puller like the one pictured that I have used w/ success. I bought it at Sears.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:56 AM
Suspended Sponsor

Originally Posted by BADFNZ

This is dead nuts exactly what you have to use, the thread tapped into the balancer face may vary so please make sure that you are utilizing the right bolt or you may damage the removal threads.

Also I would not consider drilling this part as the thickness across the balancer face may vary and since it is a fluid based unit you may affect the core where the fluid is held,void your warranty on the part, and or affect the rigidity of the component.

You should be able to purchase the larger steering wheel type pulley from sears or a "specialty tool store" general automotive shops usually are not going to offer this part at least over the counter, and dont forget the PB Blaster!

Do not use a jaw puller I have seen some really "cool" looking parts after that attempted removal.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Synister coming through again! dam they're good....thanks all for helping me with this dilemma as well! good question 99SilverZ!
e-man

Quick Reply: How do I.....Remove a March Underdrive pulley?