Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally Installed TSP Duals!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 04:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally Installed TSP Duals!!

When i first order the system, when i got it in the mail TSP forgot to send any of the band clamps in the box. They sent the hardware but not the actual clamps. Also after realizing that and calling to order the clamps i noticed that one end of the X-pipe was bent in. I was going to rent the pipe expander anyways so i did and got that straigt with a little bending and help of the tool. The clamps arrived in the mail in 2 days and TSP was really helpfull and asked no questions when i called to tell them about the mistake...great customer service. Finally I had all the parts and had the entire day to myself to put it on. WHAT A PAIN IN THE #@$!!!!!!! I had the car jacked up on blocks and had the suspension loaded and plenty of room for the install. I had no problem getting everything on until the bullets. I could not get them anywhere near high enough without hitting my torque arm, along with the floorboard on the passenger side. I tried EVERYTHING, adjusting, banging, flipping the X over and just about everything else. Finally I cleared the floorboard but was still hitting the torque arm. Also when I put the bullets on it seemed like the left one (looking from the back) was hanging significantly lower. No matter what I did nothing worked so i finally said the hell with it and pushed it up and high as i can and drilled them and bolted them in. As it stands now I have about a soda can of clearance everywhere except for the left bullet. I swear the more i looked at the X , you would think that the left pipe was bent and angled down more. I was going to try and angle the hangers out more but bending them was a As far as a sound and performance review.....IMO its just OK. As you can see in my sig what i had before, it was pretty loud. I will say that the more I drive it now the more I like it. It rattles the hell out of everything in the car but I dont mind it because im running it out the back next week. It does seem to pull a little harder but because of the different back pressure and my lifetime tune, im going to get it re-dyno tuned on tuesday. I had 330rwhp (forget what the torque was) with the old system and i will let you know what the new set-up gives me. Prob not much more but i did it for the "True dual" sound. Very anxious to see what is sounds like out the back under the axel. Overall very pleased with TSP customer service however I think they should make it easier to turn out the turndowns if however possible and maybe include some kind of directions. Even just if it were to show people where to put the hangers or which way the X-pipe goes, something would be better than nothing. Trying to get pics up and maybe video but will update when the rest of the pipe is run. The only bad thing is that the X is actually toching the torque arm. It doesn't rattle at all and feels fine driving but does the arm actually move that much to hurt something? Thanks for the help in all my previous posts on how to do the Install. Def. could not have done it without the guides that were givin to me
Old 05-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Car sounds good David. I think Malcolm is gonna cruise up to FBC with us on Tuesday when you get retuned.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

i dont feel like reading right now but by the title ill say this.. congrats on the true duals. im sure you'll enjoy them but the neighbors wont.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did u find the duals louder then the loudmouth
Old 05-29-2006, 02:02 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take out your rear springs and remove the isolator in favor of a piece of heater hose slipped over it. You can also hack off about 1 coil. This will lower the car enough to clear the TQ arm and allow you to raise the exhaust a bit more.

Mine have the heater hose mod and 1.5 coils cut off. I couldn't wait for new springs and quite frankly didn't want the stiffer ride. I gave it a try knowing I could snag another set of stockers if there was a problem, but there is not. I wanted to get my tucking as high as possible. Since the TQ arm was the limiting factor, I had to lower it.

The stance is great and it rides like stock. There's pics in the link in my sig as to how high mine were before I had them ran out the back. There's also some TSP duals install information in post #2 of JRP's exhaust sticky at the top of this section.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:28 PM
12 Second Club

did you have to redrill your holes in the seat wells. going with the koni SA's and was planning on doing the lower perch and rear hose mod when i get them. also getting a new torque arm. do you think ill have to take everything off to get the new TA in?

as far as the duals being louder...in a way they were except the duals had a much deeper and toned sound with no rasp at all!! only thing i would say which i expected was that it rattles everything in the car. im not worried to much about that now cuz they will be run out the back very soon.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:16 PM
That's what she said...

Yes I had to jack up my exhaust and drill more holes. My bullets are so high I had to dent the passenger side on in to clear the floor pan.

UMI Performance sells a TQ arm that clears true duals and is adjustable. I plan on picking one up maby this week. I'm not sure if you're going to have to remove **** to do it, but simply unbolting the hangars and letting it down some would probably make it easier.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/507860-will-tsp-td-work-umi-trans-mount-adj-torque-arm.html
Old 05-29-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

When I put mine on I had to flip the "x" over. If you look, it's curved up for clearance. I noticed after I put mine on about a month ago then took it back off for the same reason. I also had the left tip lower than the right. Check that, it could be your problem. I called TSP to make sure that it wasn't just an "optical illusion" when I was looking at the car and they verified it for me.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:12 PM
That's what she said...

The pics of the TSP duals on LS1sounds.com have the x-pipe upside down. The pics of mine are with it right-side up.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

this thread is useless without pics...congrats though
Old 05-30-2006, 08:01 AM
12 Second Club

working on getting them up now