Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throwing a misfire code. help me determine the problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: king of prussia, pa (home) and williamsport, pa (school)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default throwing a misfire code. help me determine the problem

when i installed my headers, i also changed the plugs. the final plug was so difficult to begin threading, i tried a stock spark plug instead. and then it went in a few hours later.

so currently i am running with 7 ngktr55's and 1 stock plug.

could this be the problem with my misfire?

thanks
Old 05-31-2006, 04:42 PM
11 Second Club

Might be, have you checked all your wires to insure they are on tight?? Should hear a couple of clicks when on properly. Check injector wires to since you really didnt say what misfire code you got.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: king of prussia, pa (home) and williamsport, pa (school)

well the misfire code is P0300 i believe
it doesnt give any specifics on what the exact cylinder misfire is though, which sucks

anyways, i did check the wires and saw that all of them are tight

i get my new wires and coil in tommorow. hopefully this will fix the problem
Old 05-31-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could just put stock replacement plugs in as well, to see if it makes a difference.. The tr55's dont work good in all cars. My car as well as a few others I've seen on here and friends cars didnt like them at all. Kept getting misfires, went back to a stock style plug and everything was fine.

I'm mostly talking about ls1's but this could be true for lt1's as well. Alot of people change their stock recommended plugs and gaps for no reason other than reading about it on the net. Thinking its better for performance, when alot of times it hurts.

I'm right around 400 rwhp and if I put in the tr55's my car runs like *** for whatever reason. I've tried many different gaps and it doesnt matter. I've run the Ac delco rapid fires and have ac delco iridiums in now with no issues at all.

Anyway, if all else fails, it could be the plugs causing your issues. Its throwing a p300 which is the generic random multiple missfire code. Which could mean 5 cylinders or 2. If it threw p308 then you would know it was cylinder #8
Old 05-31-2006, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Wink

I did the same thing, beat a Mustang GT with about six mods he told me about on Seven Cylinders, My number eight spark plug wire was not seated the whole way. I'll be thats the problem, and yes the odd plug will also cause a misfire, this has happened to me. Plug installs can be tricky, done them eight times as of today.