Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust leak question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 11:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question exhaust leak question

i installed a set of pacesetters about 3-4 months ago, and in the past month i've been hearing what i believe to be a pretty decent exhaust leak. i installed new gm replacement exhaust manifold gaskets when i replaced it, but i never got around to retorqing all the header bolts cuz getting to the driver side is a pita. my question is at this point if i torque them back down do u think it will reseal or should i just pull it apart and replace the gasket? also it seems like gm is the only place i can find gaskets, anybody know anywere else or am in not gonna get much better than gm? also im assuming the added ticking im getting is a combination of an exhaust leak and added valvetrain noise from the much thinner pacesetter, what do u guys think?
Old 06-02-2006, 01:07 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mr. Gasket or Fel-Pro makes the header gaskets you speak of. There is also one called Real-Seal and I think that it is made by flo pro. It is made of that dead-soft technology and crushes to fit and seals 100%.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by skm2384
i installed a set of pacesetters about 3-4 months ago, and in the past month i've been hearing what i believe to be a pretty decent exhaust leak. i installed new gm replacement exhaust manifold gaskets when i replaced it, but i never got around to retorqing all the header bolts cuz getting to the driver side is a pita. my question is at this point if i torque them back down do u think it will reseal or should i just pull it apart and replace the gasket? also it seems like gm is the only place i can find gaskets, anybody know anywere else or am in not gonna get much better than gm? also im assuming the added ticking im getting is a combination of an exhaust leak and added valvetrain noise from the much thinner pacesetter, what do u guys think?
I think before I went through the hassle of removing the headers, I'd see if any weren't torqued down properly.

And you are right, the added ticking is coming from thinner header walls. You may not even have an exhaust leak at all if all bolts are still torqued properly.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

definatley check the torque before you rip into removing the headers.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i had two leaks since installing my headers 6 months ago, both due to bolts needing some retorquing. and the passenger side header is the pita, the driver side is the easy one!!