Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Headers A Good Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 07:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Headers A Good Idea?

I am currently taking my 3800 out of my Camaro and Putting in an LS1. I have upgraded to Koenigg Valve Springs, Katech Rod Bolts and Comp Cam Pushrods. I plan on putting in a Cam Down the road but I was going to wait untill I get used to driving an LS1 since I have driven slow automatic cars for so long I dont want to start out with too much power in my first manual cause the last thing I need is to be standing knee deep in water tring to explain to my neighbor how my car got in his Pond. I did change the MAS to an SLP and a SLP bellow and Air Lid. I was going to leave it at that for now but my friend is tring to talk me into putting Headers on it. I was just wondering are Headers extremly benificial? Who makes a good set of headers that wont rust? Thanks!
Old 06-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Board Certified Idiot

KOOKS & QTP make STAINLESS headers that will Not Rust. Great INvestment to get for your car. Most ppl here will agree. But you should startout with a catback IMO Might as well Make that stainless ALSO . And Yes they are Extremly Benifical to have. The LS1 Loves TO breath
Old 06-02-2006, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pArTy b0y!
I am currently taking my 3800 out of my Camaro and Putting in an LS1. I have upgraded to Koenigg Valve Springs, Katech Rod Bolts and Comp Cam Pushrods. I plan on putting in a Cam Down the road but I was going to wait untill I get used to driving an LS1 since I have driven slow automatic cars for so long I dont want to start out with too much power in my first manual cause the last thing I need is to be standing knee deep in water tring to explain to my neighbor how my car got in his Pond. I did change the MAS to an SLP and a SLP bellow and Air Lid. I was going to leave it at that for now but my friend is tring to talk me into putting Headers on it. I was just wondering are Headers extremly benificial? Who makes a good set of headers that wont rust? Thanks!
I'd do a cam while you're in there(rod bolts, valve springs, and pushrods) It'll be easy as pie too because it's already out of the car! As far as the headers go, HELL YES! Even if you dont do a cam, it'll improve power, performance and even gas mileage as well!
Old 06-02-2006, 08:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just make sure, if you buy a cat back, that it will be a quieter one. That way your car won't be loud as hell with headers. I bought SLP loudmouth II for my car as soon as I bought the car. Sounded great for a long time, then, I put headers on it. The sound level jumped 2 or 3 times what it was before.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:47 AM
Teching In

IMO headers are the single best bolt on for pretty much ANY car. I wouldn't even hesitate to put them on, especially when the engine is out of the car. You will have alot of fun trying to get them in after you install the engine. Also, I would have that cam in there as well. Its so much easier to work on an engine out of the car. I know this may sound reckless of me to say build it up b4 you learn to drive a manual, but it will be much easier, and cheaper in the long run.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Headers are a MUST; you won't believe the power increase, if you have the money, definitely go stainless. And, as everyone has mentioned above, a catback too...I have a Hooker setup, with the aerochamber muffler...I like the sound.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you throw a cam in the car like lilbuddy is suggesting, headers are definately going to be needed.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes they are
Old 06-02-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're gunna do headers, do motor mounts at the same time, you'll thank me later

A little help on the mounts: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/492703-best-poly-motor-mount-write-up-ever-written.html