Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question on my exhaust

Old 06-02-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default question on my exhaust

I have a 2002 T/A. I just recently bought GMMG C/B. But when my T/A's exhaust was STOCK i had a cut out installed.

Now for my question....

With the GMMG C/B jsut recently put in, i also put the cut out back on the car. But my question is, should i run the cut out OPEN or run the cut out CLOSED?????

i did a couple of tests with the cut out open and closed. did come launches and some jumps from a roll, and there was that much of a difference in performance with it open Vs. closed...

the only i did notice while at idle if i opened it was slightly louder. little deeper of a rumble. matter of fact the cut out sounds like gmmg LOL.. and again while crusing if i opend the cut out the esxhaust was a tad bit louder.

SO WHAT SHOULD I DO??

OPEN or CLOSED???????
Old 06-02-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Jonas...I absolutely cannot believe you're still asking this same question bro...

Again, why in the world would you run an open cutout if you just paid all that $$$ for the GMMG cat-back system? The difference in performance between the two will be almost "nill" since you have a mostly stock LS1. You'll never feel any difference in horsepower. In fact, go dyno it and you'll see where the difference may be 2-3rwhp with the cutout open at the most (if even that).

As for sound, no, the open cutout sounds nothing like the GMMG. Maybe it sounds similiar to you in the car, but outside, the GMMG sounds so much more refined and actually has a nice tone (it's deeper/cleaner). The cutout basically sounds like a pickup truck with a hole in the muffler. The tone between the two at WOT is simply NO comparison! So yeah, the open cutout will be a little louder at idle/cruise, but I thought it's the better sound you wanted?

Anyway, you should have waited just a bit longer to purchase the GMMG...I'm going to be selling mine soon since I'm converting to a true dual set-up on my LS1...

Later,

Mike

P.S. I'll call you soon. Haven't had the time yet, but I definitely want to catch up (been a long time).
Old 06-02-2006, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

hey Mike whats going on?

anyway was wondering how to get the biggest gain for my car.. lol that is all. Yes the gmmg is deeper and cleaner than the cut out.

when i opend the cut out, it sounded like the gmmg so there was no big difference in sound. my buddy Jay CrawlinWS6 was like that was a 650 cut out you bought lol!!! Oh well. i am going ot run it closed...

how much you selling the GMMG for? And for true duals what are you goigjn with as far as an x pipe? What is yout plan? Dr. Gas? that is what i would recommend..

anyways gimme a call. you still have my #?
Old 06-03-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

bump for more people to respond
Old 06-05-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Another bump... not the weekend any more so maybe i will get more of a response?
Old 06-05-2006, 02:16 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's going to change the sound, and not going to offer you any HP gains that are noticable. Nobody on here can help decide what you should do since it's based on such a relative thing.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm with Slick up there. You drop a bunch of coin on the GMMG, don't bother with the cutout. I ran my car straight of the Y-pipe for like 30 seconds while installing my GMMG. It was loud, but I love the sound of the GMMG. Save the cutout for many more mods and the track IMO.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 89KARR
I'm with Slick up there. You drop a bunch of coin on the GMMG, don't bother with the cutout. I ran my car straight of the Y-pipe for like 30 seconds while installing my GMMG. It was loud, but I love the sound of the GMMG. Save the cutout for many more mods and the track IMO.

i listened to your vids.. sounds jsut like mine.. very quiet with the STOCK manifolds and y pipe

That is why i was debating on the cut out with the gmmg

luckily i got the gmmg used for 600 shipped!! it came with the premium tips

i see you have kooks lts and kooks y pipe waitng for install.. you are soooooo lucky that combo with gmmg is amazing.. you will love it. my buddy has that set up on his 02 z28..
Old 06-05-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
It's going to change the sound, and not going to offer you any HP gains that are noticable. Nobody on here can help decide what you should do since it's based on such a relative thing.

you are right it does not change the sound, just made it a bit louder and deeper that is all..

you seem very noligable so far to me. thanks for your help
Old 06-05-2006, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
i listened to your vids.. sounds jsut like mine.. very quiet with the STOCK manifolds and y pipe

That is why i was debating on the cut out with the gmmg

luckily i got the gmmg used for 600 shipped!! it came with the premium tips

i see you have kooks lts and kooks y pipe waitng for install.. you are soooooo lucky that combo with gmmg is amazing.. you will love it. my buddy has that set up on his 02 z28..

Yeah, but as many know, vids really don't do anything justice. I think it sounds amazing on the stock manifolds and cats. Maybe I'm just easy to please. I'm hoping to get the Kooks in this month. With work, birthdays, graduation parties, and family obligations in the mix, time will be real hard. But I'm gonna push to get it done. I can't wait to hear how the GMMG sounds with Kooks.

Is yours really *that* quiet on yours? Mine being a M6 seems like it's loud and bassy anywhere over 2200 RPMS.

But overall, if you are planning are getting some headers, keep the cutout closed until you get headers. The uncork it at the track only. Good luck.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:55 AM
Board Certified Idiot

Originally Posted by 2000LS1Z28
Jonas...I absolutely cannot believe you're still asking this same question bro...

Again, why in the world would you run an open cutout if you just paid all that $$$ for the GMMG cat-back system? The difference in performance between the two will be almost "nill" since you have a mostly stock LS1. You'll never feel any difference in horsepower. In fact, go dyno it and you'll see where the difference may be 2-3rwhp with the cutout open at the most (if even that).

As for sound, no, the open cutout sounds nothing like the GMMG. Maybe it sounds similiar to you in the car, but outside, the GMMG sounds so much more refined and actually has a nice tone (it's deeper/cleaner). The cutout basically sounds like a pickup truck with a hole in the muffler. The tone between the two at WOT is simply NO comparison! So yeah, the open cutout will be a little louder at idle/cruise, but I thought it's the better sound you wanted?

Anyway, you should have waited just a bit longer to purchase the GMMG...I'm going to be selling mine soon since I'm converting to a true dual set-up on my LS1...

Later,

Mike

P.S. I'll call you soon. Haven't had the time yet, but I definitely want to catch up (been a long time).

What he said
Old 06-06-2006, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think what you are looking for is what you would get if you had some LT's and no cats thats when the gmmg comes in to its own imo.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:03 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might get a 2-3 increase on the top end. It isnt worth it on the GMMG though. Not for the sound at all.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Guys, don't worry...I'm going to change his mind when I drive his car up and down the street for him sometime this upcoming weekend. Of course, probably won't help him though when he hears mine with the same set-up (+ Kooks LT's). Ain't that right Jonas???
Old 06-06-2006, 12:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by madmo
I think what you are looking for is what you would get if you had some LT's and no cats thats when the gmmg comes in to its own imo.
I loved my GMMG before LTs but after it is a whole different beast.
I have a clip of my GMMG through LTs on the dyno if you want to hear it.

http://media.putfile.com/Dyno-HP-run
Old 06-06-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 89KARR
Yeah, but as many know, vids really don't do anything justice. I think it sounds amazing on the stock manifolds and cats. Maybe I'm just easy to please. I'm hoping to get the Kooks in this month. With work, birthdays, graduation parties, and family obligations in the mix, time will be real hard. But I'm gonna push to get it done. I can't wait to hear how the GMMG sounds with Kooks.

Is yours really *that* quiet on yours? Mine being a M6 seems like it's loud and bassy anywhere over 2200 RPMS.

But overall, if you are planning are getting some headers, keep the cutout closed until you get headers. The uncork it at the track only. Good luck.

ye ai know vids do niot do any jsutice i have the same set up that you have. stock manifolds stock y and gmmg c/b.. very quiet to me.. I can not wait to get kooks lts and kooks y pipe with the gmmg

to me again it is that quiet and i too have M6. it is bassy but quiet lol.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2000LS1Z28
Guys, don't worry...I'm going to change his mind when I drive his car up and down the street for him sometime this upcoming weekend. Of course, probably won't help him though when he hears mine with the same set-up (+ Kooks LT's). Ain't that right Jonas???

hey gimme your lts and y pipe now

can not wait for you to drive my car so i can hear what it sounds like on the out side then maybe i will chane my mind.

but i did what you told me to do mike i closed the cut out lol.

see yea friday or sat Mike

Search this Thread