Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TB and MAF question

Old 06-02-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TB and MAF question

Shouldi port my stock TB on my 02 T/A? Also who is the Nick Williams that i keep hearing about?

Should i take the screen off my MAF too??
Old 06-02-2006, 11:12 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should port the stock TB. You should not modify the stock MAF in any way. The Nick Williams 90mm throttle body will not fit on an LS1/LS6 intake manifold, it's made for the FAST 90mm intake.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TheBlurLS1, Why should he not port the MAF? I ported mine and de-screened it well over a year ago and have had no problem with it in any way.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:52 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by JEB Garner
TheBlurLS1, Why should he not port the MAF? I ported mine and de-screened it well over a year ago and have had no problem with it in any way.
Too many people have ported them and pulled the screens will ill effects. To me, it's not worth the risk for the VERY minimal gains you would experience.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Too many people have ported them and pulled the screens will ill effects. To me, it's not worth the risk for the VERY minimal gains you would experience.
ok i thought that that nick williams a person

so i should port my STOCK TB then. what are the advantages of that? Who can do it? What do i need??

my other question that you did answer was i was thiniking of taking the MAF screen off.... YES or NO

thanks for your help
Old 06-03-2006, 12:45 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
ok i thought that that nick williams a person

so i should port my STOCK TB then. what are the advantages of that? Who can do it? What do i need??

my other question that you did answer was i was thiniking of taking the MAF screen off.... YES or NO

thanks for your help
Nick Willaims is a person.

He owns a shop and CNC's all the NW90 throttle bodies right here in the USA. He also posts on this board under the name "Nick Williams".

Porting the stock throttle body will give you a little more throttle response, and most people usually see 8-10rwhp depending on how well it's hogged out. New Era, Thunder, etc. do ported throttle bodies, or you could do it yourself. There's a writeup for it in JRP's sticky at the top of this page.

Not modify the MAF in any way means don't take the screen out either. You might do it and have no ill effects with very minimal gains, or it could go south and cause the car to run like rolling death. Some people have idle issues, hesitation, and other problems, especially on the A4 cars.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

I gained 2 mph with a ported maf.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Regular

def. dont mod the maf.. like theblur said there are too many potential problems with this... i did however see some of the ill effects of this. after i descreened it and ported it, i had idle issues, and she was throwing codes up left and right. itd be in your best bet to just go ahead and buy a ported maf... if you do however decide to port your own.. just be extremely careful with those little wires when takin the maf apart.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:01 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by NOTFAST
I gained 2 mph with a ported maf.
This is because your car leaned itself out, not because of more airflow, and everyone knows, "Leaner is meaner".

Search this Thread