Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the heck is this part?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default What the heck is this part?

Hey all,

While changing the passenger side turn signal / driving light bulb this random piece fell out of the front quarter area just behind the brake cooling hole on my Trans AM. I have no idea how it is supposed to install or what it is? It is about 8-10 inches long.

Any ideas?

Russell
Old 06-04-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does it have vacuum line fittings? It may be the charcoal filter for the fuel system.

I've got a 99, but that is not there. Just horns and water tank.

Last edited by JasonWW; 06-04-2006 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it ticking
Old 06-04-2006, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Does it have vacuum line fittings? It may be the charcoal filter for the fuel system.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

I looked in my Haynes book and it says the charcoal filter is in the back left fender. So I'm not sure what it is. Maybe another pic will help. I'm sure someone around here knows, just might take a while for them to see this thread.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:51 AM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the vacuum canister to me. This system stores a little extra volume for when you click the A/C system from floor to defrost or whatever (uses vacuum).

Behind the manifold there's a small vacuum line running toward the a/c system. It should hit a T at/inside the wireloom by the pcm, then run inside the a/c box and to the front of the car inside the wiring harness and to the front of the car where you found that piece.

Go see if your a/c system will switch from floor to vent.....
Old 06-05-2006, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll check this afternoon and see if the AC will switch from floor to vent.

It does have a single nipple on it, but it simply fell out. I didn't touch it at all. I removed 2 hex screws from the plastic undercar shielding to access the turn signal and the damn tube thing fell out. The nipple was dirty and looked as though it hadn't been hooked up in a very long time.

Russell
Old 06-05-2006, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hey, you know you can change the bulb by reaching through the lower hole, right? No need to get under the car and remove any bolts.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah,

But it's REALLY easy when you unscrew the 2 bolts on the underside. I changed the bulb the first time from the bottom hole and it was a bitch to get the bulb snapped into the socket with 1 hand. There is actually a panel cut just for access to the bulb area that makes changing the bulb much quicker than trying to do it with one hand from the lower hole.

Tried the AC today and there was a slight delay when switching from floor to defrost but nothing noticeable. I might swing by the dealership to see if they can ID it.

Russell
Old 06-05-2006, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Should be enough wire on the socket to be able to pull it out and use 2 hands to put the bulb in the socket. Ehh, maybe you have short wires?

If you have to do this all the time and have moisture in there, you'll need to get new lenses, but a cover over them to protect from rocks, new sockets and you'll be set. I haven't had any problems in over 2 years now since doing that.

Let us know what it is when you find out.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am pretty sure that is a vaccum storage canister so you still have vaccum for brakes and defrost under WOT when there is no engine vaccum
Old 06-05-2006, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

yep vaccum canister
Old 06-05-2006, 05:20 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
I am pretty sure that is a vaccum storage canister so you still have vaccum for brakes and defrost under WOT when there is no engine vaccum
If I'm WOT in my car, the last thing I want to be messing with is the defroster. Second to last thing is the brakes.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
If I'm WOT in my car, the last thing I want to be messing with is the defroster. Second to last thing is the brakes.

OK well it is also there for if the car shuts off so you still have brake assist.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is you vaccum tank for A/C. I would take a look under there there should be 1 line going to it. If you are not the orginal owner someone might have bypassed pluged it, at one time.
Strange it came loose, are nipples still present and in good condition. ?

Last edited by 618HAWK; 06-05-2006 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ahhh, I guess I do have one, just not easily seen. I know there is that one hard vacuum line going over the fender, but I never knew what it went to.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

i didnt know that was a brake cooling hole, seeing as it goes nowhere at all and any air that should go to brake cooling is blocked off by the wheel well.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Andros
i didnt know that was a brake cooling hole, seeing as it goes nowhere at all and any air that should go to brake cooling is blocked off by the wheel well.
Who said anything about brake cooling?
It CAN be made into a brake duct, but it's extra work.

I just noticed the other day while driving on the freeway that the air coming out of the vents (on lowest speed) will stop when you press the gas fairly hard. I wonder if my vacuum canister is functioning properly.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay,

Thanks for all the replies. I don't know why, but LS1tech "forgot" to email me and let me know there were more replies As you all have deduced it is in fact the vacuum canister. The dealership confirmed and was totally stumped as to how it could have come disconnected. I have no idea either, but the damned thing just fell out.

Thanks to 618hawk for the diagram because the dealership diagram was aweful. I couldn't figure out where that thing was suppossed to mount. The nipple is in pristine condition as are the mounting tabs. I wonder where to 2 mounting screws went? I bought the car new, and the defrost would always cut out when going WOT. I noticed it on a couple of occasions when the car was new and just figured it was a "feature" to maintain horsepower when under WOT. Perhaps the assembly line tech just forgot to actually install the vacuum canister. It definitely hasn't been hooked up for a long time, if ever, as there is a thick coating of dust on it and no friction marks on the nipple.

Andros, I referred to it as a brake cooling hole simply for identification (that's what it looks like). Obviously no airflow can go to the front brakes as they are isolated by the inner wheel well liner. No reason to be a smart-***.

I followed that vacuum line from the AC box down the side of the engine compartment but never did see it leave the bundle of wires. Thanks to the diagram I'll be able to check it out.

Jason,

I'm actually surprised that you were able to change the light via the bottom hole. I definitely don't have much wire to work with. It hangs down about 3" from the bulb housing. Not nearly enough for me to get to through the lower hole. Also, fat hands don't fit well in that small lower hole I'd be interested in hearing more about your modifications to the bulb housing. I indeed have moisture accumulation inside and would like to address the problem.

Thanks,

Russell

Last edited by ws6-speed; 06-20-2006 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

All i did was buy new housings, new bulb holders and then used a protective housing over the lens to protect it from rocks. In my case, I made up some tinted covers. That will fix the problem as well as make your lights brighter and appear to match.