Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between LS1 & LT1 Magnaflow Catback???

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Difference between LS1 & LT1 Magnaflow Catback???

Hey all. I was just curious as to the difference between the two systems. Ive heard that the LS1 and LT1 have different flow through designs?? My reason for asking is that Im installing an LS1, LTs, ORY into my thirdgen, and I decided to go with Magnaflow. I can get the LT1 catback for a lot cheaper than the LS1...but if the LS1 system sounds better and flows better while coupled with the LS1, then Ill spring for the extra and get that.

Either way I think I need to modify the hangers and all to fit the car...so if I have to change them eitehr way, Ide rather get the system that will work/sound best with my motor.

So who knows the difference between to the two systems? Both internally and externally ( hangers)..??

Thanks in advance!

Justin
Old 06-05-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think it would just be the way the exhaust fits under the car. Since the body style changed with the engine change.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

no the exhausts sit the same undeneath a 3rd gen.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

hangers, bends and all?
Old 06-05-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1Lust
hangers, bends and all?
I know the physical bends fit, im not positive on the hangers.

My friend has a 3rd gen with an LS1 in it and he fit a catback on it fine without modification to the pipes, but id have to double check on the hangers
Old 06-05-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The LT1 catback will fit fine underneath the back of an LS1 car, vice versa. The difference in the two catbacks is in the length of the I-pipe. Can't remember which is which, but one of them has a longer I-pipe than the other.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

The Lt1 catback has a longer I-pipe
Old 06-05-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

isnt there a difference in the muffler too? i know ive seen several magnaflow pics and theres two different mufflers. one is the standard fbody style muffler single inlet and dual out let with an outlet on each end of the casing. whereas the other is a single in dual out with the outlets on the same end and theres a u shaped pipe pipe that runs to the passenger side for the tip.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

I *think* the "funny" design is for a V6. I'd also imagine the hangers on the 4th gen systems are real close to the 3rd gen, but only a test fit will say for sure.

There is a possibility the LT-1 system might sound and maybe flow better since LT-1 generally sound better than LS1's and Magnaflow may have made the LS1 muffler more restrictive to counteract the rasp, but that is opinion and not even close to factual evidence.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the replies guys! I know the systems will all physically fit.

I will have to change the hangers a bit...but thats no big deal. I will most likely transfer hanger tabs from the camaro im stripping and just weld them to the bottom of my car. Then I dont have to mess with the nice stainless cat back and I can use stock rubber hangers. Instead of using universal clamp on style hangers.

What Im most interested in...is the difference in teh actual muffler. If the LT1 flows better...thats what Im gonig for. The motor Im using had 1 7/8" primary headers, and a huge ORY. Ill be using 1 3/4" headers, with a smaller diameter ORY. So I want the cat back to flow as good as possible. But Im set on teh Magnaflow system so its a toss up between the LS1 and the LT1 product. Maybe Ill email magnaflow... I didnt think of that. Ill let you guys know what I find out if they have any usful info for me. They will probably just give me a speech about how they arent designed/gauranteed to fit with my conversion etc etc... We'll see.

Justin
Old 06-06-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure about fitment but I saw an LT-1 Magnaflow catback and it has the inlet on the passenger side but both outlets on the left side with a pipe going all the way around the muffler for the passenger side tip. The LS1 catback has the passenger side tip right next to the inlet. Almost a straight through design. I'm guessing the LS-1 catback flows better. Not sure if it will fit though.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I talked to a tech at Magnaflow today. Nice guy. He actually seemed interested in my swap..asked me a bunch of questions about it instead of trying to rush me off the phone. Dont know about you guys but that goes a long way in my book. In any case...he said there wasnt really much difference in the two systems at all. The LT1 system has the extra S-pipe at the end. But most people seem to ditch that thing anyway... He said that BOTH mufflers were the same muffler. And that the hangers were pretty close to each other.

But...now that it was mentioned...on the site, the LT1 system does seem to have a pipe that goes all the way around... I wonder if thats an actual picture of the system or if its just a generic pic of some sort? Anyone actually have the system for LS1 / LT1 and can verify how the pipes route..??

I guess Ill end up just going with the LT1 system if the mufflers are similar since its way cheaper. I dont know...the tech says one thing...the site pic shows another...

Justin
Old 06-06-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually... If you go on magnaflow's website, and go under tech support, you can view the install sheets. On the install sheets, the diagram of the two systems shows that they are almost the same system. I guess Im going to call Magnaflow again...ask some more specific questions maybe.

Justin

Quick Reply: Difference between LS1 & LT1 Magnaflow Catback???