Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coil relocation/ longer plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default coil relocation/ longer plug wires

I picked up a coil relocation setup w/longer plug wires off of ebay awhile back with wires. I just ty-wrapped them up to start the motor (there was a major machine shop error with the heads) Do the coils need to be grounded. And who makes a decent set of wires? I would like them longer than the 18" junk I received. Are there any that come with the coil end done that you make your own length? Where and how much?
Old 06-06-2006, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

Thunder Racing has wires that you cut to length,,,,, I'm not sure it is what your looking for,, but you could check.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

Yes im also interested in where to buy theses wires. TTT for a good question.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Thanks, I just bought the JFP relocation kit with the 10.4 Taylors from Thunder. So if you see a relocation kit on EBAY---Do Not Buy It! Just kidding. Garbage has it's place. I still was unsure if they needed to be grounded.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:12 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99sscv
Thanks, I just bought the JFP relocation kit with the 10.4 Taylors from Thunder. So if you see a relocation kit on EBAY---Do Not Buy It! Just kidding. Garbage has it's place. I still was unsure if they needed to be grounded.
I don't believe they need to be grounded. The stock valve covers sit on a rubber O-ring, and even the bolts are insulated from metal/metal contact by the rubber isolators. I was testing the voltages on a few things on day and tried to use the valve cover on the passenger side as a ground, no workie. Since the valve covers don't offer a good/reliable ground, I wouldn't think the coil packs needed to be grounded at all.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TransAm_00
Thunder Racing has wires that you cut to length,,,,, I'm not sure it is what your looking for,, but you could check.
All that is, is a universal spark plug wire set from Taylor for any SBC engine, but with straight boots (180 degree). You can also choose to purchase the 135 degree setup or the 90 degree setup from Taylor. Either case you will need to purchase the LT1 terminal kit to use instead of the distributor boots supplied with the wires. I recommend getting a good terminal kit wrench and use plenty of WD-40 (or similar) on the boots and wires to ease assembly. Here is a snapshot of what they look like.

Click image to view larger picture:

Quick Reply: coil relocation/ longer plug wires