Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Y Pipe Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 10:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Broken Y Pipe Bolts

Hey everyone im gutting my cats on my 98 z28 and in the process just like everyone else, I broke some of the bolts that link it to the manifold. I went to home depot and bought a 3/8 bolt,nut,spacer,drill bit and tap. Has anyone just drilled and retapped the hole for there own custom bolt? Let me know what the best route to take on this project is. Thanks for all responses.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:23 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's very common to break the studs. 99% of the people who are removing their cats do it to install headers, not too many people gut the cats around here, as there is minimal gains from doing so. What kind of muffler/exhaust are you running?

Drilling and bolting should work, even though it might be tough to get to that stuff. I'd use some lock washers on the nuts and get them tight as hell.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree, really not worth the hassle to remove the cats and gut them, you will see close to nothing in hp gains. Hopefully you are doing this because one of yours is clogged up or something.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:26 PM
12 Second Club

Well I know that there really arent any hp gains over around 5 rwhp at tops but I'm doing this for sound because it really will beef up the sound of an ls1 when you remove them. With the o2 sims in place of the sensors, I will also be able to retain stock computer settings without throwing codes and also while having a mean exhaust sound. Basically, cheap mans upgrade for sound is what this is. I do plan on getting an ory pipe and headers in the future but this is just for temporary.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

My new 02 Z cats clogged up already. I'm busting them out.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bomber Z
My new 02 Z cats clogged up already. I'm busting them out.
damn Rob already?
Old 06-07-2006, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

to each his own, personally I would not think that it is going to sound much better on a stock exhaust, but I got you cheap. Well think of it this way, you a wasting money on bolts, nuts, time and frustration putting something back on, that is just going to come off again right? guess your already into it hopefully it works out, also if you got a tune, you could have saved 80 bones on the stims as well. I am not sure were cheap falls into this.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:14 PM
12 Second Club

Well time really isnt a prob with me because I like messing with stuff like this. I did drop about 14 bucks into spare parts and misc things. So I can actually get a tune and avoid using the o2 sims? Wow I didnt know that. But really though I've heard my buddies with the same setup as mine and it does sound much louder. I mean when you compare the prices $100 parts and sims vs. $400+ for the ory pipe + headers this really is cheaper. Then again I may regret this whole thing once its on the vehicle but its a learning experience...lol. I should have it done tonight so i'll let ya'll know what my end opinion is. I should have plenty of fun drilling out the broken studs and retapping them btw.

Quick Reply: Broken Y Pipe Bolts