Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just got my pacesetters in!!! Are they the right ones??

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default just got my pacesetters in!!! Are they the right ones??

After one wk and a half they finally came in, pacesetters LT's and TSP ORY. I have a 2001 z, obviously i dont have the egr but do have air. Im not going to have it removed. that being said i was wondering if they sent me the right headers. here are some pics..

DRIVERS SIDE:

PASSENGER SIDE:

Old 06-09-2006, 12:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it looks like you have the provisions for both the AIR and the EGR. They look just like my 98' style headers.

Jeremy
Old 06-09-2006, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

if they are the wrong kind, you can either send them back or make/buy some blockoff plates for them, no big deal.

Jeremy
Old 06-09-2006, 12:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like the EGR is in the wrong place to me. Air looks fine.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

those have air and egr provisions.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

i made my own block off plates with some flat aluminum 16 gauge from home depot... very easy to make
Old 06-09-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

it came with one block off plate that fits on here....see pic

and are the 2 holes suppose to be there on both headers at the bottom, on the inside part??

i hate having to send it back and wait to getthe right ones ....damn its not that hard to put the right headers in a box and send them off the first time
Old 06-09-2006, 12:45 PM
Restricted User

Yeah The Block off plate that came with them is the for the EGR Provision which you obviously don't need. The Holes at the Bottmo of the Headers are for your O2 Sensors..
Old 06-09-2006, 12:53 PM
12 Second Club

yea, those are for you O2 sensors. However, both of my provisions on my Pacesetters are horizontal. I don't know how you're supposed to twist the AIR piping to even come close to fitting that .

Jeremy
Old 06-09-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BADFNTA
Yeah The Block off plate that came with them is the for the EGR Provision which you obviously don't need. The Holes at the Bottmo of the Headers are for your O2 Sensors..

ok...is the piece where the egr goes, going to get in the way will i try to install them?? or should i just block it off and go on with my install???
Old 06-09-2006, 12:56 PM
12 Second Club

I'm stupid. Looking at the picture, it looks like the one you have the arrow pointing at is the EGR provision with the plate, and the other is the AIR tube, my EGR tube was routed around the 1st tube instead of just coming straight up like that. Looks like you're ok. sorry

Jeremy
Old 06-09-2006, 12:56 PM
12 Second Club

I'd just block if off before installing, one less thing to worry/forget about.

Jeremy
Old 06-09-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TransAm8723
yea, those are for you O2 sensors. However, both of my provisions on my Pacesetters are horizontal. I don't know how you're supposed to twist the AIR piping to even come close to fitting that .

Jeremy
i just went outside and looked at the stock manifolds and the provisions on there a vertical as well...i guess trans ams are different...i think thats what you have...any camaro guys wiht an 01-02 have the same vertical provisions as mine??
Old 06-09-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Resident

transam8723 ....had me worried there for a bit.. so i should be fine right ??? just block the egr off and install..sorry for so many questions, its my first time buying/installing headers.

i tried fitting the LT's to the TSP ory but it wont fit...how can i make it fit??
Old 06-09-2006, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

Don't worry about the ?'s, that's what this site is for. The headers and y-pipe will be a tight fit, but they should fit together. I used the Pacesetter ORY. the TSP is supposed to be better than the pacesetter, so i don't see why it wouldn't fit. could you force them together?

Jeremy
Old 06-09-2006, 01:57 PM
That's what she said...

Looks like someone welded the AIR fitting on wrong on this one. I'm not sure if the 01-02's are SUPOSSED to come with EGR fittings and a block off or if they are supossed to come with nothing at all.

Where did you order these from? TSP?

The collectors get dinged up a bit and out of round, as do the y-pipes, this might be the reason they won't slide in. You can try to straighten them out yourself with some pipe or something. Mine were out of whack at first, but I got them dialed in with a little pry-bar action.

Any reason why you decided to keep the AIR even though you got an ORY? If it was me, I'd send those back, get the RACE versions (tell them you're sending them back anyway due to the bungs being mis-welded), then delete the AIR system and have the codes for it AND the rear O2's tuned out. MTI did my code deleting for $75.

I'd be willing to bet that TSP would send you a set ASAP while you're trying to get those back to them. IIRC One of the TSP guys said they sell about 20 sets of Pacesetters a day, so I can imagine a mix-up every now and then.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1

Looks like someone welded the AIR fitting on wrong on this one. I'm not sure if the 01-02's are SUPOSSED to come with EGR fittings and a block off or if they are supossed to come with nothing at all.

Where did you order these from? TSP?

The collectors get dinged up a bit and out of round, as do the y-pipes, this might be the reason they won't slide in. You can try to straighten them out yourself with some pipe or something. Mine were out of whack at first, but I got them dialed in with a little pry-bar action.

Any reason why you decided to keep the AIR even though you got an ORY? If it was me, I'd send those back, get the RACE versions (tell them you're sending them back anyway due to the bungs being mis-welded), then delete the AIR system and have the codes for it AND the rear O2's tuned out. MTI did my code deleting for $75.

I'd be willing to bet that TSP would send you a set ASAP while you're trying to get those back to them. IIRC One of the TSP guys said they sell about 20 sets of Pacesetters a day, so I can imagine a mix-up every now and then.

yeah , i got them from tsp. Ive already called themabout this matter and sent them pics as well. I was thinking about just keeping them though. They came with a block off plate for the egr. as far as the air goes, i just dont have the 300+ for a tune. Ive heard that you can run LT's w/out a tune. But i thought that the air fittings were fine... the twisted one is for egr.

i had planned on keeping them as is but now that you say that the air fittings are welded wrong...im having second thoughts.

any one has any more input??
Old 06-09-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

ya normally the air fittings come off primaries #1 and #2 not like what you have plus that egr is out of place also and you should not have an egr provision... send that crap back and get what your supposed have
Old 06-09-2006, 03:32 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by z28_n_tx
yeah , i got them from tsp. Ive already called themabout this matter and sent them pics as well. I was thinking about just keeping them though. They came with a block off plate for the egr. as far as the air goes, i just dont have the 300+ for a tune. Ive heard that you can run LT's w/out a tune. But i thought that the air fittings were fine... the twisted one is for egr.

i had planned on keeping them as is but now that you say that the air fittings are welded wrong...im having second thoughts.

any one has any more input??
I'm fairly sure that the AIR is supossed to be coming off of the #3 and # 4 primaries. #4 is the one with the fitting facing the front of the car. The EGR usually bolts onto the bung on the #2 primary. Another thing is those might be the f-body headers with the bungs welded on where they are supossed to be on the TRUCK headers. Some guy had this same problem a few weeks ago but his O2 sensor bungs were welded in the wrong spots.

Whoever quoted you $300 to delete some codes needs to be punched in the throat. We aren't talking about a "tune", we are talking about "plug the laptop in for 3 minutes and viola". Like I said, MTI did mine for $75.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:34 PM
10 Second Club

I have installed 2 sets of pacesetter headers on 01 f bodies and pacesetter just makes a 00-01 header and includes a block off plate for the egr for the 01 and 02. the 2 different set were ordered from 2 different places and were the correct headers.