Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

snapped bolt on cat flange

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default snapped bolt on cat flange

Just bought a daily driver and sadly enough it's a ford...'93 Probe GT w/ 139K. Anyways, there are 2 bolts on the cat flange that connect it to the rear exhaust section. So the car is really loud and I crawl under there to find a snapped bolt on the flange which causes a large exhaust leak. Anyways, the headless bolt is stuck on the converter side of the flange. Is there any way to get this damn thing out or am I stuck getting a new converter?
TIA
Old 06-10-2006, 07:03 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

lol. I don't know where to start.....Pictures?
Old 06-10-2006, 08:03 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a probe, and those studs are attached to the cat, and if i got this straight, the stud with the nut on the end is broken on yours, if you need a cat, i have a stock one in the garage if you need it, just throw me a couple bucks for it and pay for the shipping and its yours.

or you can get a jeff jeske test pipe like i have, it is a pipe with flanges that replaces the cat, and helps with gas mileage.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

I would get a straight pipe but the only reason I'm fixing this is so I can pass the VA safety inspection. That and I sound like fast and the furious in the damn thing. I'm pretty sure it's the stud w/ the nut on the end that's broken off but I'll find out tomorrow morning. I'll let you know about your cat...if that's what it is I'll definitely be sending you some money for a replacement. They don't sniffer here you just have to have your emissions systems installed and "functioning".
Old 06-11-2006, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

if its how im thinking you need to cut off the stub left on the stud with either a dremel tool or an air saw and then just drill it out with the same size bit and a drill. same thing happened to me with my z28 but that should do the trick. it takes about 20 minutes a bolt to do it though and you'll need atleast 6 inches of clearance so good luck.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

id have to see it, but sometimes those bolts that appear to pressed in are actually threaded. double nut the stub if you can, or use a vice grip and try to back it out.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

well I tried to get the others to break free or snap off today w/o luck. I don't have enough clearance to get my big *** torque wrench under there to break them free. Looks like I need to take it in to have them rip it off for me and then I can drill out the studs or just have them weld the cat's flange to the rear exhaust section where the bolt is snapped. That would stop the huge exhaust leak at least. All I need is to get to where I can pass the safety inspection.