Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car gets power but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car gets power but won't start

OK, so my wife stops to get gas in her 98 Trans Am (auto) and when she tries to start the car back up, nothing. The car gets power, the headlights work. However, when you cycle the key to ON, nothing happens, the dash doesn't light, anything.

So I check the 50a IGN fuse under the hood and it's blown. So my first question is why did it blow ? I take the 50a amp fuse for the horn out to put in the IGN slot. Turn the key on, dash lights up like normal. Go to hit the starter, and it blows the fuse.

Now I take the 50a ABS fuse out and put it in the IGN slot. Turn the key on and run the LS1 ScanMaster to see if any codes were pulled. None. So I remove the fuse and put it back so I don't blow that one too.

Now, I'm thinking maybe the starter is hung up, possibly causing the fuse to blow, or someone suggested that the headers may have burned a wire over there and it's shorting out.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Old 03-19-2003, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Car gets power but won't start

Matt, it sure sounds like you have a short, I'd start looking to see if you have a burnt wire near the headers. Good luck.

Al