Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car WON'T start

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 06:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car WON'T start

So I had my car sitting in the garage for the winter - 2 months - weather finally gets nice and I start her up and drive around for a bit. Park the car and next time I went to start it I had some problems, but after letting her sit for a few min. she started up again. When I finally drove her back home I parked right out side of my house, ran in to get something and when I came back out it wouldn't start up???? a WEEK later now it won't start.

It turns over fine, and I can hear the fuel pump running before I turn the ignition all the way so??? What could be wrong. I really hate dealerships.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Car WON'T start

What year and how many miles? Is the "SECURITY" light on the dash on or off when you try to start it? I had a passkey sensing lead on my 89 Formula break off the ignition column and it took 3 days to figure out how to get it started. (I measured the resistance of the key and jumpered a resister across the two yellow leads that ran up the ignition column to trick the passkey system). That is just one thought. Otherwise, check for spark, and fuel (and fuelpressure). If you have air, fuel and fire, it should run (in theory anyway).
Old 03-23-2003, 10:59 PM
Back in the staging lane

Your gas could be bad after sitting that long. I had the same problem. Put some high octane gas in it and then try.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:48 PM
Teching In

If it's bad gas that could be a problem because its got a full tank. It's a 2000 w/ 10K miles on it. Bah, I'll check the security thing, but I think I'mg oing to have to take it to the shop.
Old 03-24-2003, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres a question I had. Lets say you had a bad tank of gas and just wanted to get it out.

Could you remove the fuel filter, and hang the fuel line into a bucket and then turn on the car and let the fuel pump push all the gas out? Would this even work, or would it somehow be bad for the fuel pump?

I realize, it would take several bucket fulls to get the gas out, but I'm just thinking of a last ditch scenario?

If this doesnt work, other than a funnel in your fill up tube or dropping the tank, what other methods could be used to get the gas out?
Old 03-25-2003, 12:58 AM
Teching In

Its probably bad gas...once you get her started again just let it run for awhile....

I stored mine this winter from Oct till last week and had no problems whatsoever firing her right up....so my guess is its probably bad gas...lots of people store their LS1 and have no problem starting it up months later...

Did you have a full tank of gas when you put her into storage?