Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turned the car on after LT's install and...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default turned the car on after LT's install and...

just got done doing the install (pacesetters), i turned it on (openheaders) and the sound was awsome!! i left it on for about 40 seconds. no ses light, but it was idleling at about 4000 to 5000 rpm's.

so i went inside to get my nephew so he could turn it on while i looked at the engine..probably left it on for about 2 minutes or less, once againg no ses light but thsi time it idle at about 3000 rpms and it sounded like it wanted to die. so i freaked out and turned it off. next thing i know i get this burning smelland i see some smoke coming from the engine. it smelled like rubber burning..i looked every where and the only places that i think it might be coming from is the spark plug wires. the second and third wires on the drivers side touch the headers and the second one from the passenger side. stupid me touched the header and it was sooo damn hot it burnt my finger pretty bad..i didnt think it would get so hot in less than 3 minutes...

did i do something wrong ??? is this normal?? how can i fix the plug wires so they wont touch.

im going to finish installing the ory before i turn it on again...im afraid to even hook the battery up.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check o2's and spark plug wires, also headers do smell a bit when they are new, the smell will go away after a couple heat cycles, I know my coated ones smelled a bit at first
Old 06-15-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by daryl2cb@yahoo.com
check o2's and spark plug wires, also headers do smell a bit when they are new, the smell will go away after a couple heat cycles, I know my coated ones smelled a bit at first

checked the o2's and the spark plug wires, like i said 2 wire on the drivers dide touch and one on the passenger side...i turned it on once more and it smelled like burnt rubber again i noticed a bit of smoke coming out again
the SES light j ust now came on. are the headers suppose to ge t hot really fast??? i was also thinking of just driving it up to a muffler shop to let them finish the ory install. i have the two tubes from the ory that connect to the header collector on, will that help against my o2 going bad?? ive heard that youre not suppose to drive with open headers. to be honest im afraid to drive the damn thing now
Old 06-15-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

are your headers coated or painted ?the painted ones will indeed smoke and smell for a few times.i would try to get the plug wires away from direct contact from the header somehow.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

all you saw and smelt was the new burning off (personally, i love that smell). it'll burn off in no time and everything will be all good. just let it run for a little while, then take it up the road a mile or so and back. if it dies slowing down or at idle its because you're front o2s are getting a breath of cold air from the end of the open header. slp lts are realy bad about this because the o2 is right at the end of the header and when you let of the gas, cold air starts comin back up on it and it wants to go dead. now my qtp's on the other hand, have the o2 pretty far up the tube and it ran great with open headers. anyway, thats beside the point. just let your car run and burn that new off. it'll be cool after that
Old 06-15-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

they are coated pacesetters....i turned it once again to try and track the smoke but i cant put a finger on it...i know for sure that its coming from both the drivers and passenger sides
Old 06-15-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z28_n_tx
they are coated pacesetters....i turned it once again to try and track the smoke but i cant put a finger on it...i know for sure that its coming from both the drivers and passenger sides

it the NEW, i promise, (especially since its coming from both sides). let it burn of. theres a LOT of heat on that new metal and ceramic coating, its gonna smoke.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New headers smoking when first started is completely normal.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

what kind of gaskets did you use??? it may be a huge exhaust leak if you use paper gaskets that they came with, if you used the MLS gaskets then make sure you tighten them down and take her for a spin then come back and let her cool down a bit then tighten them down some more.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RICEETER
it the NEW, i promise, (especially since its coming from both sides). let it burn of. theres a LOT of heat on that new metal and ceramic coating, its gonna smoke.

are you sure?? it actually smells like rubber or something burning...and do lt's get really, really fast??? mine are so hot after only a few minutes. and will it be ok for me to drive it like 5 miles to the shop for the ory install???
Old 06-15-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z28LS1camaroguy
what kind of gaskets did you use??? it may be a huge exhaust leak if you use paper gaskets that they came with, if you used the MLS gaskets then make sure you tighten them down and take her for a spin then come back and let her cool down a bit then tighten them down some more.

i re used the stock gasket...now the passenger side is smoking more ..the drivers side has stopped i believe. socan i drive it with open headers with out causing any damage??
Old 06-15-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

are you sure the smoke isnt coming from the end of the headers then up through the engine bay?? and also how many miles are on your car??? b/c i just went to the GM dealership and ordered new MLS gaskets since it would be safer, you might want to replace those gaskets since the old ones may be rusted and breaking apart.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you clean the heads or gaskets up with anything when you took the manifolds off? Anything that you put on the header flanges, heads, or gaskets will burn off when you start it up, and yes it is normal for them to get very hot very quickly. If there is nothing touching the headers I don't see how anything could be burning. Make sure your O2 extensions aren't touching the headers and that all your bolts are tight and the gaskets are on the correct way.

I think you should try to get the ORY on and see if that solves anything. Keep us posted
Old 06-15-2006, 04:48 PM
12 Second Club

im still trying to figure out why it was idling between 4 and 5K rpms
Old 06-15-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

i re used the stock gasket...now the passenger side is smoking more ..the drivers side has stopped i believe. socan i drive it with open headers with out causing any damage??
no damage, just shitty shitty gas mileage and lots of cab rattle
Old 06-15-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLACKNREDSS
im still trying to figure out why it was idling between 4 and 5K rpms
yeah, does that concern no one else? There is something definetly wrong with that pic! Mine didn't do that at all!

I wouldn't think that the computer would be programmed to default to 5k rpms if an O2 isnt regersitering... just a thought though...
Old 06-15-2006, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

Is the rpm just a typo, or is that the rpm you saw
Definately something wrong if it is indeed 4000- 5000 rpm
As for the smell and smoke, that's the new burning off, where you put fingerprints, oil from your hands, and probably some other things, it'll go away
Old 06-15-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

update:

no, its not a typo it did idle for a bit at 4000-5000, first start up. it also sounded like it was goign to go dead. but its now back at 6000 rpm's. doesnt sound like its going dead either. but i have not driven the car either.

the smoke continues to come out, passenger side only. i got under the car and saw no wires touching the header except for the one plug wire mentioned, but it seems that the smoke is not coming from there.

stupid me used some blaster on the passenger gasket to try and clean some of the rust off. dont know if that has any effect on what im seeing and smelling. it only does it when the car is on once i turn it off itll smoke for a few sec. and it will stop.

my SES light went off(not lid) the last couple of times i started it.

i will be drivng it to the mmuffler shop at 8 am tomorrow morning andhave the ory put on. only a 3-4 mile drive.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:57 PM
12 Second Club

update:

no, its not a typo it did idle for a bit at 4000-5000, first start up. it also sounded like it was goign to go dead. but its now back at 6000 rpm's. doesnt sound like its going dead either. but i have not driven the car either.

the smoke continues to come out, passenger side only. i got under the car and saw no wires touching the header except for the one plug wire mentioned, but it seems that the smoke is not coming from there.

stupid me used some blaster on the passenger gasket to try and clean some of the rust off. dont know if that has any effect on what im seeing and smelling. it only does it when the car is on once i turn it off itll smoke for a few sec. and it will stop.

my SES light went off(not lid) the last couple of times i started it.

i will be drivng it to the mmuffler shop at 8 am tomorrow morning andhave the ory put on. only a 3-4 mile drive.
I think u mean it was idleing around 400-500 rpms and sounding liek it was going to die. and then idled at 600rpms like normal.

-Blaze
Old 06-15-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

^^^^yeah not 6000 RPMs, b/c if it was that high it would sound like it was going at wide open throttle and be loud as hell.