Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast 90 Intake owners, have you tried this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fast 90 Intake owners, have you tried this?

When porting and polishing my Fast intake, I have noticed that it lining up the intake is very important. Adjusting for the intake ports on one side is off a bit on the other side, so centering the intake is tough to do when covered.

I was thinking of making little marks on the lower intake piece and head so that when the upper piece is installed, my intake ports still line up.

Then I thought about this: Get some studs (or 6mm Threaded rod), then center and tighten the lower half of the intake down. then place the upper half on and use nuts to secure that down. The only issue with this is that I'd have to machine (or drill) the underside of the upper cover to allow the nuts (that are holding down the lower portion) to fit.

Has anyone else tried this? If not, what do you do?
Attached Thumbnails Fast 90 Intake owners, have you tried this?-dsc00002.jpg   Fast 90 Intake owners, have you tried this?-dsc00003.jpg  
Old 06-15-2006, 05:34 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a good idea! So you port matched the intake to the heads with the intake secured without the top piece?
Old 06-15-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't for the rough sanding, but I was planning on doing it for the finer grit and final fit, also for the corners where JB weld will come into play.

Last night I also painted the tips of my intake rocker bolts, the parts sticking into the runners. So I should be able to grind away and those, clean them up with a die and re-install them.

I figure I'll have to pull the heads one last time to clean out the plastic dust from the sanding when I'm am done.

oh, back to the intake "studs", do you think its a good idea to slot the threaded rod at the top so I can hold it with a screw driver if needed? ANd just like with the ARP head studs and main studs, I should hand snug the studs into the head so I dont put too much pressure on the threads. Let the nuts do the torquing, right?