Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short or Long tube headers??

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 06:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Short or Long tube headers??

I have a 98 camaro z28 A4 and i wanted to get long tube headers. My problem is that I live in New York so the car needs to be emissions legal . I was told that I can use shorties and still use the factory cats. I wanted to go with long tubes but there is a $$$ issue. Is there a cheap way to use long tubes and still be emissions leagal???? Any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You could always us a new y pipe that is catted that will fit your Lt's.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by impala11419
I have a 98 camaro z28 A4 and i wanted to get long tube headers. My problem is that I live in New York so the car needs to be emissions legal . I was told that I can use shorties and still use the factory cats. I wanted to go with long tubes but there is a $$$ issue. Is there a cheap way to use long tubes and still be emissions leagal???? Any info is greatly appreciated.
Check out TSP (a sponsor ---->) they offer Pacesetter LT's with a catted Y for $700 and it will pass a sniffer test and is as legal as LT's get.

Unless you are running FI shorties are a total waste of money. They do not scavenge which is where the power is at. Stock manifolds flow well enough for n/a applications. Expect to see 3-5rwhp from shorties as a maxium.

LT's do scavenge and will produce a lot more power and torque and make a real noticable difference.

Both will work well with FI because scavenging doesn't take place so the lenght is not important, flow rate is and both when used with FI will outflow stock headers.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Technically I believe LT's are illegal in all 50 states because they change the stock location of the cats. Most inspection places here in PA will pass you as long as you have cats and are not throwing codes even though going by the letter of the law they are not street legal. Not sure how strict NY inspection folks are but I know there are guys here in NY running LT's on the street so at least someone is passing them
Old 06-16-2006, 08:06 AM
Teching In

would it be wise to the long tubes and take an off road y pipe and weld some cats onto it?
Old 06-16-2006, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by impala11419
would it be wise to the long tubes and take an off road y pipe and weld some cats onto it?
You're better off just buying a catted Y IMO. This is no gaurantee that you will pass a visual inspection though. You always take a chance when doing LT's. What is in most peoples favor is the lazyness of the inspection shops in that most could care less. "No codes and cats, you pass" at least that has been my experience in PA. They also want you as a customer and holding you to the letter of the law when you have a performance car won't help them win a customer. They need to cover their *** though as well.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Regular

Go LT's with cats. You will spend all that money on the shorties, spend more money putting them on, and spend more money taking tham off when you realize how much they suck.

Quick Reply: Short or Long tube headers??