Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 bits that fit LS2 & LS7

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 07:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 bits that fit LS2 & LS7

Hi 1st post and all that.
I'm in the process of building a Ultima in the UK.
I'm trying hard to stick to my budget, I would love a new LS2/LS7 engine, but there is not enough funs in the pot.
So I am thinking about getting a used stock LS1 engine, installing it in the car, get it all finished and then when I have some more money and time will get a new LS7 (hopefully) built up.
Then swap them over.

So my question is what parts can I use on the LS1 that will also fit an LS2/7.
Clutch, Alternator, injection unit. etc

I take it the blocks is the same size so the exhaust and transfer plate for the gearbox will fit.
Can someone confirm this?
Old 07-03-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the stuff will cross over between the LS1 & LS2. The LS7 is a little different animal. The block assessories should be simular, but the head and intake configuration is a little different.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Pete
Hi 1st post and all that.
I'm in the process of building a Ultima in the UK.
I'm trying hard to stick to my budget, I would love a new LS2/LS7 engine, but there is not enough funs in the pot.
So I am thinking about getting a used stock LS1 engine, installing it in the car, get it all finished and then when I have some more money and time will get a new LS7 (hopefully) built up.
Then swap them over.

So my question is what parts can I use on the LS1 that will also fit an LS2/7.
Clutch, Alternator, injection unit. etc

I take it the blocks is the same size so the exhaust and transfer plate for the gearbox will fit.
Can someone confirm this?
Not sure eaxctly what is interchangable on the LS7 but I know it's largely different although it is still the same engine family. LS2 is pretty similar though.

What sort of HP are you after? The Ls1 is pretty stout in the right setup. If you plan on n/a then you'll probably need some nice long tube tubular manifolds made up to fit the Ultima unless there's someone who already does.

But then for not all that much £££ you could do intake, CAI, heads, cam, electric water pump and so on. Fbody's then to get to around 450rwhp which would be knocking on the door of 500bhp at the flywheel.

Ls2 would see a little more HP in the same sort of configuration ~530bhp flywheel. Both should be driveable, reliable and even moderatly economical.

An alternative would be to forge a 5.7 Ls1 and add a turbo setup. Aslong as you where prepared to run 97RON then 600-700bhp flywheel should be possible.

Texas Spedd & Performance offer short/long blocks. It might be worth building a motor from stratch. The offer a 402ci (~6.6 litres) aluminium block LS2 based engine. n/a it should be good for around 600bhp flywheel or with a turbo 750-800bhp flywheel and still be reliable and very driveable.

If you're after a 2nd hand engine have a word with the guys over at www.v8engines.org and they'll be able to advise where to get one.

Ls7 is a very nice engine but you can make a lot more power for a lot less money IMO

If you want a list of parts/suppliers if you plan to build a n/a Ls1 up shoot me a PM with you email addess and I'll email you a spreadsheet of my current build sheet and contacts.