Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro 5.0 issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pro 5.0 issues

I recently installed a Pro 5.0 shifter the other day at to be honest I don't know what's wrong...

I can't seem to get the car to go into 2,4, or 6th gear. I'm assuming this is due to the stop bolt being too close to the shifter handle. Can I just pull the stop bolt out completely? Doesn't seem like it does any good anyway.

Also, when installing the shifter, I installed it so the words "power tower" were facing towards the front of the car....is that the right way to install it? Or did I put it on backwards!?

TIA
Old 03-28-2003, 03:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Pro 5.0 issues

The M6 trans does have an internal stops so you can remove them from the shifter if you want. I have still them on my Pro 5.0 shifter just for that added piece of mind. To set mind ran the bolt all the way in, then put the car into gear and back the screw out until it was touching and then tightened it back in 1/2 turn. Make sure you loose loctite. I didn't and 5,000 miles later I was going down the road and the shift kept popping out of 1,3 and 5. The bolt had baked it's self out. Now that I have loctite on it all is well.
Old 03-28-2003, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you ever seen the stops on the shift forks. I has many problems with my tranny and the dealer let me check it out many times. The internal stops are little pieces of plastic on the ends of the shift forks. Leave the stops on and adjust them accordingly. It will save your tranny. The shift forks are made of aluminum and dont looke to strong either.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

i seem to remember there being only one way to install the shifter. the bolt holes will line up in only one direction.
did you cut your inner shift boot (rubber boot) like the directions tell you to do? if you don't the boot can get caught up in the base/handle and prevent you from getting all the way into gear.
i didn't like my pro 5.0 too much. the quality is there, but it's nothing special. i missed third gear plenty of times with mine. i put a short stick on the factory hurst, and i'm happy with it.