Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big difference in sound with GMMG using stock manifolds vs LT headers + highflow cats

Old 06-16-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Big difference in sound with GMMG using stock manifolds vs LT headers + highflow cats

OK guys...So, I don't have any sound clip comparisons (deal with it), but a couple nights ago I met up with a buddy so that we could hear each of our LS1's. He has an '02 M6 Trans Am w/ an intake lid & GMMG cat-back/DMH cutout. I have an '02 M6 Z28 w/ an intake lid, GMMG cat-back, & Kooks LT's + highflow catted Y. The headers being the only difference between the two cars.

After getting the chance to hear both cars from the inside/outside at idle, acceleration, WOT, etc...I am AMAZED at how much different (and better) my LS1 sounds through the GMMG than my friend's.

Mine has much more bark at start-up, is noticeably louder/deeper at a warm idle (just rumbles more; can barely hear his, LOL). And when getting on it (especially at full throttle), not only is my car a LOT louder, but it actually has a defined tone that is really distinctive...Just a meaner, deeper roar and not a higher-pitched wail like his.

Anyway, it had been so long since I last had the GMMG w/ stock manifolds & cats on my LS1, I was really surprised at how much different the LT's & higflow cats made the GMMG sound. Honestly, didn't even remotely sound like the same cat-back to me.

Just thought some of you who will be adding LT's + highflow cats to your GMMG set-up would like a heads up

Mike
Old 06-16-2006, 09:53 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good information man, thanks!
Old 06-16-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

No problem! And the other really interesting peice of info regarding that night (I'm sure my buddy will have no problem verifying that if he catches this thread)...The GMMG & DMH cutout (when open) on his '02 Trans Am sound a lot like (I'm literally not kidding). The cutout was louder at idle and throughout the rpm range, but seriously, I could hardly tell any difference when he revved his car up through both of them...Or when he was driving around, going WOT, etc. He kept telling me both sounded the same and I didn't believe him, but damn...They really did sound very similar outside the car...

Let's just say he wants some Kooks LT's real bad now...
Old 06-16-2006, 10:33 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Either car cammed?
Old 06-16-2006, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome post. I'm hoping to get my Kooks installed the first week of July. Weekends get booked in June with graduation and birthday parties and all sorts of other crap that I can't ditch. Soon though, my GMMG will have the Kooks going on upstream. I can't wait.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:48 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Birthday parties? Are you 13? Nothing is more important than putting more parts on your car. Nothing.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Birthday parties? Are you 13? Nothing is more important than putting more parts on your car. Nothing.
Family comes first. Then the car, that's just the way it is. "Oh hey Mom, sorry I couldn't make it to your birthday and take you out to dinner. I had to install some kick *** car parts. You understand right?" or I could tell me wife, "Hey Honey, I could give two ***** less about your family function. I want to spend the day with my car."

I'm not sweating it. Just giving ya a hard time. Though that word "Nothing" has some strong meaning there Boss. I can think of quite a few things in my life that top that "Nothing". I'd have some doubts about someone who put their car ahead of family. But to each his own.....
Old 06-17-2006, 08:03 AM
Board Certified Idiot

WHy dose he RUn a CUT Oout?? Hopefully he did not have it opne on the test HEHE..
Old 06-17-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Either car cammed?
Nope. Both of our LS1's have completely stock internals. The ONLY difference is my car has Kooks LT's + highflow catted Y while his has the stock manifolds, cats, & Y.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z2K_MrJ
WHy dose he RUn a CUT Oout?? Hopefully he did not have it opne on the test HEHE..
His cutout is a DMH electric one...I'm not sure why he installed it on the I-pipe of his GMMG system, but as I mentioned above, I could literally not tell a difference in the sound (same tone) between the cutout and GMMG on his LS1. Just that the cutout was a little louder throughout the entire rpm range...

If my friend (TORCH'D 02 TA) sees this thread, I'm sure he'll post up and answer that.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 89KARR
..I'd have some doubts about someone who put their car ahead of family. But to each his own.....
Ha, ha. I'm sure he was mostly kidding. But you're doing the right thing. Especially for the wife. You give 'em what they want and they'll give you what you want. It's give and take.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

ha, you think it sounds good now, wait until you pop a nice big cam in there!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Big difference in sound with GMMG using stock manifolds vs LT headers + highflow cats