Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Dual/Dual powerflo owners come on in

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP Dual/Dual powerflo owners come on in

I am currently getting an SLP Dual/Dual powerflo system to replace my LM2 (Too Loud).

I have QTP LT's and catted Y.

Does anyone have a similar setup with Dual/Dual?

Just wanted your opinion....is it pretty quiet? I listened on ls1sounds.com just looking for more opinions/input.

Thanks
Old 06-17-2006, 01:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like mine alot! Fairly quiet at idle and over all but still seem to make good power. I run a cutout in front of it for when I want to be loud
Old 06-17-2006, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

I"m happy with mine as well. My stall makes it twice as loud as it used to be though. I may be adding some cats or a borla to the i-pipe to quiet it down.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:13 PM
Launching!

I'm running kooks lts and high flow cats right now with the slp dd and its really quiet...of course wide open is wide open...don't know of any muffler on an f body thats going to be quiet at wide open...all I can say is that I've been running it with the lts for 3 weeks and its got progressively louder from day one...not alot...but noticeable....we'll see how it sounds by the year mark....
Old 06-17-2006, 11:05 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as a long-time hater of SLP's obnoxious loudmouth system, i must say i am pleasantly surprised at the sound of this exhaust. i have the stock dual/dual which should be a TAD quieter than the one you are buying. i am also running stock manifolds.

first off, you gotta understand that the LS1tech definition of "quiet" is not the real definition of quiet. compared to true duals, gmmg, and loudmouth owners, yes, the dual/dual is quiet. however, it is not a quiet exhaust. the idle itself doesn't make too much noise (again, on stock manifolds), it's kinda clankity-clankity like a big truck. sounds kinda funny. when i cruise into my driveway i feel like i'm driving a truck but in a good way.

when you're just normally driving, the inside of the car is quiet with the windows rolled down. however, if you open your windows, you clean clearly hear the exhaust plenty at ~2100rpm's.

now the fun part:

crank her up to 2500 - 3000 rpm's and she really starts making some noise. this is when the exhaust sounds like a mustang. if i'm cruising on the highway and get on it a little (not WOT, half way) so she pulls along in 3rd gear, i could swear i was driving a 5.0 stang.

go WOT in it, it's a totally different sound completely unique to an f-body. i personally don't consider f-bodies to be great sounding cars. this exhaust, however, is very exotic. it's very racey, it really screams. it's a very smoothe exhaust note and it's music to my ears. if you go WOT, it's very loud to the point where you could easily drown out any "loud" V6 or 4 banger.

i can tell you this, i make people move outta my way. if i get on it and people hear me coming, they seriously move into the other lane. it's awesome. i just did it last week to some lady in a minivan. i was hitting it at a red light and she was going to signal in my lane, heard me coming and got right back in hers til i passed. lol.

there is no rasp with this exhaust on a stock manifold car. the only detectable imperfection is if you take it over 5000rpm's, the exhaust will kind of make a *PING* sound on the 1st to 2nd shift (i have an automatic). it kinda sounds like when a BB hits a soda can. i have a feeling headers will eliminate this, but it's seriously its only imperfection.

the exhaust kit itself is beautiful. it's all stainless. my muffler is 5 years old and i can still see my reflection in it:

VERY high quality system.

as for the restriction, there is virtually none. on my old V6 firebird, i had the flowmaster 80 series exhaust. when i'd punch it, it would kind of "charge up" for a second, at least that's what it felt like because of the enormous backpressure - except it would then go nowhere. this exhaust provides crisp throttle response. i can actually feel the car breathing with it on. there's no "charging up". it just goes.

also, the car is silent interior-wise at cruise until about 75-80mph. then, you can DETECT exhaust note, but not much.

i think you'll love this setup if you're not looking to be obnoxiously loud. it's great to build a sleeper car. i wish some people would try to screw with me since i have a silent cruising firebird formula. someone out there should mistake me for a V6 i pity them.

i'll tell ya what, your headers will only make this system better. i can't wait til i get enough coin to get a set put on my car.

hope this helps.

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 06-17-2006 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

I had the DD exhaust on my hawk when I first got it. I liked the sound but I wanted it to be louder. I think it would of sounded amazing with LT's and a off road y-pipe. I couldn't afford that so I picked up a loudmouth cat back for cheap. I love the sound of it. I think you either love the loudmouth or hate it there is no in between.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:35 PM
11 Second Club

I had the dual/dual with headers and then added a cam. Even with the cam it was quieter than most cars with just headers/exhaust. You shouldnt be disappointed at all if you get it.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Is headers with a Y-pipe on an LT1 less loud/not as beneficial then headers with H or X-pipe?How hard is it to get true dual for an LT1?
Old 06-18-2006, 04:49 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've heard it's easier to rig up true duals on an LT1 than an LS1. as for being louder, the only reason why true duals tend to be louder is because the ones we buy have no real muffler, just straight through tubing (bullets, ST's, etc...) since f-bodies have VERY limited room to work with when making duals. duals come on mustangs, corvettes and GTO's stock - quiet as air. they can be made as loud, quieter or louder than a y pipe setup.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After running "loud" exhaust systems for the better part of 4 years:
stock w/cutout
longtubes/ORY/cutout
then added a cam
longtubes/ORY/wide open borla
longtubes/ORY/loudmouth

While it was fun when I was young... it gets really old being so obnoxiously loud that every cop in a 5 mile radius can hear you when you floor it... you begin to not desire that much attention. I ended up putting a SLP 2OTL catback on the car for a while with the stock motor/cam setup that quietened the car down alot.

Now I have a 408 with a largeish cam, and I roll the street with a dual/dual setup. I drive 800+ miles per week and it is very enjoyable being able to roll up the windows and lose all the exhaust note while cruising at 80+mph, if I want to hear the exhaust some I can roll down the windows without it being overbearing.

The exhaust still flows extremely well (I'm making over 500rwhp through 1 3/4" headers, ORY, and a stock SLP dual/dual catback) and does have a very healthy tone that screams at WOT, but it's not NEARLY as loud as some of the other exhausts (borla, loudmouth, duals, etc). I'm having a 3.5" collector and cutout put on the end of my Y-pipe for when i'm out and want the extra 30-40 horsepower and the car a bit louder, or whenever I plan on spraying the car.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the good input guys. Appreciated!!!

Now I can't wait to get it on so my car doesn't sound like a truck...LOL

Ya know I wouldn't mind it but it bothers me so much when I pull away and give it like 1/4 throttle and row the gear shifting at 3k and it sounds like I have the car completely floored.

That's what drives me nuts.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
as a long-time hater of SLP's obnoxious loudmouth system, i must say i am pleasantly surprised at the sound of this exhaust. i have the stock dual/dual which should be a TAD quieter than the one you are buying. i am also running stock manifolds.

first off, you gotta understand that the LS1tech definition of "quiet" is not the real definition of quiet. compared to true duals, gmmg, and loudmouth owners, yes, the dual/dual is quiet. however, it is not a quiet exhaust. the idle itself doesn't make too much noise (again, on stock manifolds), it's kinda clankity-clankity like a big truck. sounds kinda funny. when i cruise into my driveway i feel like i'm driving a truck but in a good way.

when you're just normally driving, the inside of the car is quiet with the windows rolled down. however, if you open your windows, you clean clearly hear the exhaust plenty at ~2100rpm's.

now the fun part:

crank her up to 2500 - 3000 rpm's and she really starts making some noise. this is when the exhaust sounds like a mustang. if i'm cruising on the highway and get on it a little (not WOT, half way) so she pulls along in 3rd gear, i could swear i was driving a 5.0 stang.

go WOT in it, it's a totally different sound completely unique to an f-body. i personally don't consider f-bodies to be great sounding cars. this exhaust, however, is very exotic. it's very racey, it really screams. it's a very smoothe exhaust note and it's music to my ears. if you go WOT, it's very loud to the point where you could easily drown out any "loud" V6 or 4 banger.

i can tell you this, i make people move outta my way. if i get on it and people hear me coming, they seriously move into the other lane. it's awesome. i just did it last week to some lady in a minivan. i was hitting it at a red light and she was going to signal in my lane, heard me coming and got right back in hers til i passed. lol.

there is no rasp with this exhaust on a stock manifold car. the only detectable imperfection is if you take it over 5000rpm's, the exhaust will kind of make a *PING* sound on the 1st to 2nd shift (i have an automatic). it kinda sounds like when a BB hits a soda can. i have a feeling headers will eliminate this, but it's seriously its only imperfection.

the exhaust kit itself is beautiful. it's all stainless. my muffler is 5 years old and i can still see my reflection in it:

VERY high quality system.

as for the restriction, there is virtually none. on my old V6 firebird, i had the flowmaster 80 series exhaust. when i'd punch it, it would kind of "charge up" for a second, at least that's what it felt like because of the enormous backpressure - except it would then go nowhere. this exhaust provides crisp throttle response. i can actually feel the car breathing with it on. there's no "charging up". it just goes.

also, the car is silent interior-wise at cruise until about 75-80mph. then, you can DETECT exhaust note, but not much.

i think you'll love this setup if you're not looking to be obnoxiously loud. it's great to build a sleeper car. i wish some people would try to screw with me since i have a silent cruising firebird formula. someone out there should mistake me for a V6 i pity them.

i'll tell ya what, your headers will only make this system better. i can't wait til i get enough coin to get a set put on my car.

hope this helps.
Yeah..what he said!
Old 06-18-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the D/D exhaust with LT headers and ORY. I like it a lot. Very quiet at idle and puttin around town. Has a nice deep rumble to it. It will get louder when you stomp on it, but if I want real loud I just open the cutout.

It is also a good quality setup being stainless steel. I would recommend it.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

I have it with LTs and ORY and I love the sound. As the guy above stated, it sounds like a Mustang at certain RPMs. Although I didn't think it sounded Mustang-like on stock manifolds, it certainly does with longtubes. On cold starts, it's fairly loud. However, once it warms up, it quiets down significantly. My other car was pretty loud, so I like that this one is quieter. I'm 21 and probably at the age where most guys would be running Loudmouth or an open cutout, but I like the fact that the exhaust is civil and doesn't draw attention from every corner of the county.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
I have it with LTs and ORY and I love the sound. As the guy above stated, it sounds like a Mustang at certain RPMs. Although I didn't think it sounded Mustang-like on stock manifolds, it certainly does with longtubes. On cold starts, it's fairly loud. However, once it warms up, it quiets down significantly. My other car was pretty loud, so I like that this one is quieter. I'm 21 and probably at the age where most guys would be running Loudmouth or an open cutout, but I like the fact that the exhaust is civil and doesn't draw attention from every corner of the county.
Amen, brother. I've been through just about every exhaust config under the sun (LM, True Duals, Hooker, y-pipe/bullet dump, etc). I'm 23 and TIRED of the loud *** drone and rasp. civil is exactly the word to describe the dual/dual.