Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What mods can i do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 06:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What mods can i do?

Hi all,

I have a standard 2000 Trans-Am with Ram Air, I'm probably the only person left with a standard car, but I wish to change all of that.

I was thinking of a new exhause system, the SLP 'loud mouth' seems what I'm after, i think i should change the air intake to a Whisper Induction Lid and Lowing kit from Eibach, and LS6 Heads from SLP.

Is this a good start to modifications. I'm in England UK and will probably get most parts from ThunderRacing when they sort out their email I will be able to email them.

I'm looking at spending $1500 to start with as I have to be carefull with shipping and heavy taxes when it arrives here.

If these are not the best things to go for first please let me know. I have limited knowledge of modifications, I will get someone to help me out that knows American V8 inside and out but only the old ones. There is probably no one in England UK that knows how to program the cars. If I can buy something like that then that would be great, I'm going to have to rely on Forum messages to upgrade my car, computers/ electronics and programming is not a problem at all, if its possible to make and interface to the ECU then I can create something to tune the car on the laptop.

Any help is much apreciated.

Many Thanks

Dan
Old 04-09-2003, 07:08 AM
Staging Lane

Default Re: What mods can i do?

Lid and exhaust are the first 2 things I would do. But get Sub-frame connectors soon after. I would get the new Texas Speed and Performance lid. For computer reading and programming you can get Auto-tap and LS1edit for the most mobility, or you can get a predator programmer that is also very good. Depending on what direction you plan on going with the car, drag racing, road racing, or just a fast street car would tell you what to go for next.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:00 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the info.

I will look into getting those things. Would you happen to have a link for the Texas Speed and Performance lid.

I'm aiming for a fast street car, but will take it down the drag strip a couple of times in hope to get 13seconds or less.

The car is a 6 speed manual. Photos can be seen at http://www.solent-renegades.co.uk/ca...00trans-am.htm

At the moment its probably one of the fastest cars in the area, not many performance cars over here, many are well under 2 litre.

But there is a '78 Camaro with a Chevy 450 Supercharged, woulnd't mind beating him on the drag strip, I think I may be able to do it as my '89 2.8MPFI Firebird gives him a run. We have a few cars in the car club, my '89 Firebird was the newest in the club until I got mt 2000 T/A. So not many people over here can help me with the new system. Thanks for the info in the forum, Its certainly a place i will keep coming back to for further ideas.

Thanks again.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:45 AM
Staging Lane

their website is still under construction but you can email the owner by clicking their icon on the right.
Old 04-10-2003, 04:18 AM
Staging Lane

hi Red,

try www.autopontiac.co.uk They have looked after my '79 '86 and now my 01 WS6 (all trans-ams)

Good luck

J

<small>[ April 10, 2003, 05:27 AM: Message edited by: 01 ws6 uk ]</small>
Old 04-10-2003, 09:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Red I have a question why did you have to lower the front lamps to were the vents are?
Old 04-10-2003, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Hi 01 WS6 UK, were you ay Guildford the other day? I was chatting to someone with 3 generations of cars there. If so, I will be taking your advise on changing the exhauset system.

The roason the front side lamps are in the vents was to get it throught the tight laws over here on imported vehicles, amber is a big no go on the front of the vehile, we have to have white side lights and they cannot be in the pop up lights they have to come on with one notch of the switch not two and back one.
Now the car is legal I could probably go back to how it was and get away with it.
May even change the rear light to all red again.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

Sure was me.

Had your repair sorted out yet ?

Finally got the lighting on mine back to stock, my white side lights were screwed into the plastic shrouds in the pop-ups - not any more.

Re the exhaust. Yes mine has a Borla, sounds good ? I've been looking at mods and decided the LS1performance lid, K&N filter and a small N2O kit.

I might be going to Donnington Sunday as there is a classic series race including an Autopontiac prepared '78 T/A (if I can get up, the race is at 1300)

If I can help with anything UK related regarding your '00 let me know.

J