Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Pullies/Belts setup?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best Pullies/Belts setup?

So are there underdrive pulley sets available for our LS1s? I have heard of the ASP crank pulley and that its good to do gatorback(i think thats what they were called) belts. What does everyone think?
What's the best pulley/belt setup to get some more power out of a full bolt on LS1....
Old 06-20-2006, 09:30 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

i heard the slp underdrive pulley is one of the best, but dont quote me on that. i would like to know what most people use too.

im sure if you search you could find the answer, i would search, but im to lazy and this is your thread, so ill let you do all the work and report bck when you find some answers
Old 06-20-2006, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

I won't get anything from SLP. No customer service.

I have this set-up.
ASP pulley
Belt from thunder.
Katech solid tensioner.
No problems, but I don't have any power numbers before and after.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mr. Luos
I won't get anything from SLP. No customer service.

I have this set-up.
ASP pulley
Belt from thunder.
Katech solid tensioner.
No problems, but I don't have any power numbers before and after.
Can you "feel" a diffrence?? I been curious about pullies too.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:19 AM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

ASP here! no problems and love it.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:46 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Powerdyne/SLP. I like it alot!
Old 06-21-2006, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

the ud pulleys will pick up power but it will probably only be noticed at the track,i think they pick up around 5-8 rw or so.i have the asp btw.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:08 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

What would be nice, is if we could get someone like synister ( if they see this and are listening) to make a power steering pulley that is of an increased diameter, so that when using an asp or whatever 25% underdrive pulley you decide to run the stock lenth belt could be used.. #1 it would allow people to just get a stock replacment belt, which for all intensive purposes is fine, and #2 it would act as an additional gain over just the crank pulley, and help increase the life of the power steering pump. I love the way their pulley's look, just wish they could make one that is X larger in diameter for this application. I'm sure it's a mouse click and a piece of alum away, just not sure what it will take to get them to do it.

As for the belt rensioner, its' a good idea when your stocker gets weak, and if you're having harmonic problems causing the belt to get tossed, it will fix that, but other then that, I don't think there will be any gain from it. Looks nice too, if that matters.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:59 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
What would be nice, is if we could get someone like synister ( if they see this and are listening) to make a power steering pulley that is of an increased diameter, so that when using an asp or whatever 25% underdrive pulley you decide to run the stock lenth belt could be used.. #1 it would allow people to just get a stock replacment belt, which for all intensive purposes is fine, and #2 it would act as an additional gain over just the crank pulley, and help increase the life of the power steering pump. I love the way their pulley's look, just wish they could make one that is X larger in diameter for this application. I'm sure it's a mouse click and a piece of alum away, just not sure what it will take to get them to do it.

As for the belt rensioner, its' a good idea when your stocker gets weak, and if you're having harmonic problems causing the belt to get tossed, it will fix that, but other then that, I don't think there will be any gain from it. Looks nice too, if that matters.
A larger pulley on the PS pump (underdriving it even more) could cause low-speed driveability issues. I know I can definatly feel my steering tighten up if the revs drop too far while I'm turning in 1st gear (hey I'm a creeper lol).
Old 06-21-2006, 10:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Powerdyne/SLP. I like it alot!
This is the one I want to get since there's no need to get the tensioner because this pulley has a lip to prevent belt slippage.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:41 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
A larger pulley on the PS pump (underdriving it even more) could cause low-speed driveability issues. I know I can definatly feel my steering tighten up if the revs drop too far while I'm turning in 1st gear (hey I'm a creeper lol).

I agree, when trying to creep into a car show I feel mine tighten up some too... but it's not so bad that I can't live with it. Plus, with the converter I have going in with my th400 setup, it probably won't be an issue anymore. Just be nice to have the option. It would probably be attarctive to alot of the drag racing guys as a way to keep teh power steering and save the "power" part of it.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:58 AM
Launching!

i liked my asp never had any problems with belt slippage or overheatin *cough* cough* currently for sale..but i dont know what belt that is used as it came on my car when i bought it i just took it off for my blower
Old 06-21-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Where can i get an ASP pulley at? Are the benefits equal on an LT1?
Old 06-21-2006, 01:06 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro94SS
Where can i get an ASP pulley at? Are the benefits equal on an LT1?
That pulley won't fit an LT1 crank, but I'm sure they make underdrive pulleys for them. You could search or start a thread in the LT1 section.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

SLP/PowerBond pulley w/ Gatorback's 4040377 & 4060760, it's been on since Feb 04, no problems.