Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ram Air Exhaust Setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 02:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram Air Exhaust Setup

Well pretty soon I should be getting a firebird with the ws6 and ram air and all that good stuff. And of course i will be getting an exhaust setup first. I am wondering what WHOLE setup offers the best power and sound. I want headers, cats or no cats, muffler, tips, everything. I was thinking of getting the WHOLE SLP loudmouth kit but it is pretty pricey. Just let me know what yall think about the whole thing, dont leave any parts out like y pipes or any of that good stuff. I want loud tho and a real rumble like a ram air should sound.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:25 AM
Staging Lane

true duals with an x pipe, long tube headers, dumped before the rear axel out of bullets....that will give you loud and rumble
Old 06-21-2006, 02:30 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree on the x-pipe. Allthough I will say that it is not for everyone.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:33 AM
Staging Lane

very true, i love mine, especially with the new cam, wow it sounds mean at idle!
Old 06-21-2006, 03:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by speeddemon13
Well pretty soon I should be getting a firebird with the ws6 and ram air and all that good stuff. And of course i will be getting an exhaust setup first. I am wondering what WHOLE setup offers the best power and sound. I want headers, cats or no cats, muffler, tips, everything. I was thinking of getting the WHOLE SLP loudmouth kit but it is pretty pricey. Just let me know what yall think about the whole thing, dont leave any parts out like y pipes or any of that good stuff. I want loud tho and a real rumble like a ram air should sound.
Lots of choices & lots of opinions. And what's more none are right or wrong!

Headers - loads out there, but these are the ones I'd consider over the others.

Cheap option:
-Pacesetter
-Edlebrock

Expensive:
-QTP
-Stainless Works
-Kooks

The expensive ones are just stainless streel so look prettier for longer and won't rust. No performance differance though. Stay clear of SLP headers as they are expensive and hang down way too low.

If you stick with a catback you'll need a new Y pipe. 3" will be fine for 90% of people. You can either go catted or ORY (without cats) technically you should have cats but if you think you can pass emissions without then it's your choice. Although a good set of cats won't cost you anything in HP!!!!!!

Texas Speed & Performance (a sponsor ----->) offer great deals on Pacesetter's and Y pipes (catted & ORY).

Edlebrock headers are real nice also, but only available with a ORY.

Most of the expensive headers can be had with catted or ORY although you may need to contact them for prices. Typically the "expensive" setup will cost you double for the same HP gain.

Catback - way too many to list you must just search. Although here's some examples:
-SLP LM - very loud and sounds best when with cats
-GMMG - expensive but great sounding
-Stainless Works Chambered - As GMMG but works better with no cats
-Hooker - cheap and fairly sedate
-Magnaflow - pretty good all round but doesn't excell in any area
-Corsa - expensive and not for all
-Borla - like Corsa but more expsnive and def not for all
-TSP Rumbler - cheaper version of SLP LM, cats required for best sound

Duals - you could go for duals strait off the headers which means you would not need a Y pipe. Most people go for a X pipe setup although the H pipe is still popular and will generally offer a lower deeper tone.

TSP sell the Rumbler X dual setup, this dumps before the axle, so it makes the car look odd not having and exhaust tips. It is LOUD and duals tend to sound better than a Y pipe, but Y's still sound good Dual exhaust on a Fbody can be a b*tch though. If you want them out the back you can go over or under the axle, but space is always at a premium. So a custom setup is really the only route. If you need cats you will have to have them custom fabbed also.

Lastly, if you plan on 1/4 mile action at the strip then you may want a body mounted Torque Arm such as UMI Performance sell. Most dual kit place the X pipe right where this mounts, so the only option is to fit the torque arm first and custom fab the exhaust around it.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Dang, thanks for all the replies. So many options to choose from. I think I am going to get SLP Headers, true duals, h pipe,high flow cats, SLP Loudmouth. What else am I missing? Is that everything? Also what is the best air intake for the ram airs?
Old 06-21-2006, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

you cant use an H-pipe with the loud mouth. H and X pipe or for true dual systems. SLP loudmouth is a catback system. Duals replace that.
slp headers sit to low to the ground. no offense but you need to do a LOT of reading b4 buying anytihng. go through the stickys at the top. and read all of them

Last edited by evrae205; 06-21-2006 at 01:19 PM.