Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tb bump stop worth it

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tb bump stop worth it

is doing the tb bump stop really worth it and can u use hptuners to log the tps volts and have the car off like they have on the installuniversity write up?
Old 06-21-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I can see the logic and the physics behind this mod. First off it's worth actually seeing what your TB opens too. Each TB is different. If it's already pretty close then the hassle/work involded won't be worth the gain IMO.

You can use a multimeter if you don't have anything else and measure the voltage from the TPS. Be carful as it's quite easy to trigger an SES light if you get to carried away with the grinder and fixing it is a pain.

Basically if your bored or strapped for cash do it. If you have money to spend then all the free mods (with exception of TB porting) are all pretty much worthless in terms of HP, ET's and SOTP.

This is of course all IMO

BTW - I did the FRA and bump stop mods. You will notice the throttle pedal should move further after and it felt perhaps a little crisper but mostly at higher speeds. 120-140mph elapse time was certainly better but not by anything dramatic.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SLP4CamaroSS
is doing the tb bump stop really worth it and can u use hptuners to log the tps volts and have the car off like they have on the installuniversity write up?
you can also use a voltmeter to measure the voltage so you don't go to far.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
If you have money to spend then all the free mods
sorry, i just find spending money on FREE mods funny.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:53 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLP4CamaroSS
Some TB's had casting problems which cause protrusions into the path of the TB stop on the cam. Some people's cars were only opening 80%, some open 96%, you never really know. I did mine with my old TB because I am the kind of person who dwells on the thought "Is my blade opening all the way?". Turns out it was pretty close, but I dremel'd it to REALLY close.

When my adapter comes in, I'm going to check my NW90 w/ HP Tuners and see how far it is opening.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

I used a volt meter and went from 92% to 98% throttle, and I could tell a little difference. I definitley think it was worth the trouble. I wish someone could post some track times of this mod.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you decide to do it, here's an excellent write-up.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FireSilverLullaby
I used a volt meter and went from 92% to 98% throttle, and I could tell a little difference. I definitley think it was worth the trouble. I wish someone could post some track times of this mod.
well the trouble is as already stated each car/TB is different. So the results will only be useful for that particular car and pretty meaningless for every other car.