Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust???

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default exhaust???

alrite guys i need help on this one. i really want a borla but its pretty expensive. im ordering headers tomorrow or saturday. with the headers im getting new spark plugs, MSD plug wires, a lid, and off road y. now my question is do you guys think i should save up for the borla or go with like a loud mouth cuz im going to get all excited once everything comes i just no it and i don't wanna make the wrong move. i dunno if a loud mouth will sound like crap with LT's and no cats. i really like loud tho.. it will take me about a month or so before i have enough money to buy a borla being a kid money is tight for me lol. should i just skip the borla??? i really dont want to but i dunno how much more i can deal with it not being loud.

any thoughts on this

thanks
Old 06-23-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just buy a cutout and save your money.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

get a magnaflow
Old 06-23-2006, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

Borlas are expensive, but why get something that you have the money for now when you can just wait a little bit longer and get what you want. Personally I would go with the GMMG, its about the same price as the Borla. Very loud. Good luck!
Old 06-23-2006, 05:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah I don't really see the appeal of the Borla. It's WAY over priced and the tips IMO look horrid. Borla/Corsa are worst looking exhaust for the Fbody IMO.

Also I just don't get the Borla, who really wants an adjustable exhaust?? I mean are your seriously gonna get under the car every other day just to swap out the plates?

If you want a quiet car get a SLP dual dual or Hooker and add a cutout. It'll be cheaper and offer the same functionality.

If I was spending that amount of money I'd look at a GMMG although they can sound raspy without CATS, so for the same price Stainless Works chambered exhaust would be my choice. It's essentially the same as the GMMG and flows as well but has more muffler lenght which will give it a more toned sound and be better with an ORY.

SLP LM is good also, but it's LOUD and not always at it's best with an ORY. Swapping the resonator for a Magnaflow/Borla bullet muffler is common and works well. Plus it'll still be cheaper than a Borla.

If you just want a cheap stop gap exhaust then there's the TSP Rumbler. It's essentially a Loud Mouth but in mild steel and uses a Dynomax bullet. Many still claim it's raspy though, but it on'y costs like $200

If you want a Borla - then save up and get it.

But just make sure that it is really the exhaust you want to get.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

If you want quiet then the Magnaflow is good. Borla seems overpriced for what it is. For that kind of money I would be looking at Corsa or GMMG.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

order a dynomax bullet for $37 from Summit or Jegs take it to a muffler shop and get them to put it on the end of your y-pipe weld on a turndown and you've get the best sounding exhuast (other than true duals) for under $80. and then you've got plenty of money left over for other mods.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

borla... its a pipe then a plate changer then a pipe, then to the drivers side its a muffler...if you no plate in the passenger side... WTF is the pointing having a muffler?

i went kooks headers and kooks y-pipe, catless. gained 1 to 1 1/2 inches OVER THE STOCK ground clearance. i'm not complaining and it sounds damn good
kooks headers ~800
kooks y-pipe ~150-180 (i think)

borla ~1k ?? 800? just for the muffler setup
in my opinion its like buying a ferrari vs a domestic sports car... what do you really get?
Old 06-23-2006, 09:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran a single bullet on my car, split to two 4" chrome tips, looked awesome and sounded even better... When I was NA of course.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

i think i might take the dynomax bullet idea welding onto the end of the y-pipe as a consideration. i dunno if im gonna go that way yet but that is a pretty good idea for the price. either that or the TSP rumbler cuz i just listened to a sound clip and really liked how it sounds with LT's and off road y. i think the loud mouth just sounds like crap with LT's and off road y pipe.

thanks alot tho guys appreciate it alot!!!!!