Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 exhaust pop--need some advice please

Old 06-23-2006, 06:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 exhaust pop--need some advice please

Hi all, I didn't have much luck posting this under the internal engine, so I thought I would try here. Any help on how I can correct this would be much appreciated. I have a 2005 LS 6 going in a hot rod vette (for driving). Street and Performance wire harness, Camaro 6 speed, and programed to 2004 corvette for fly by wire. My problem is that when I first fired the engine, it ran fabulous, then I started to notice an afterfire, or backfire out of the right rear exhaust. I changed gas, and it seemed to help, but then came back. I've checked the exhaust, and it's tight. I just pulled the right bank of plugs, and they were a little carboned up, but not bad. I cleaned them and now it's running fine again. The body is not on the car, so I have good access to everything. The rear O2 sensors have been programed out. The popping is loud and erratic. dosent seem to go away when I get to operating temperature. It's only happening on the right side. It does it at idle, and also at a steady rpm aroung 1500. The strange thing to me is that it doesn't do it all the time. I'm real new to this computer engine stuff, so I would really appreciate any help. The engine is new, 0 miles. I runs very good except for the popping/backfire/afterfire. If it's a rich condition, is there anything that I can do to fix it. Is there a way to check an O2 sensor?? Any comments would really help. Thanks. Mike
Old 06-23-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well the only way it's gonna pop is if unburned fuel gets to the exhaust, so running rich may cause it, or a valve that's not sealing correctly, could be in the tune.... Those are the main ones I would check.

Search this Thread